34 replies to this topic

#1 Jill

Jill

• Trumba Community Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 03:19 PM

Hello Trumba publishers and spud fans,
This week's release includes some new beta publishing features and a new publisher dashboard. If your account and calendars are set for beta testing (as described here), you'll see the new dashboard link when you sign in, and the new publish settings the next time you click the Publish button. There are some pretty big changes!

Please take a look at these new pages and let us know what you think. Unfortunately, the Help for these new features is not there yet, and we know it's desperately needed, particularly for the settings on customizing styles. That is in the works, but feel free to ask questions here if you get stuck.

Most importantly, try the new settings with a test calendar and see if everything works the way it should. We look forward to your feedback, and thanks so much for your most excellent work and ideas!

Jill / Trumba UA

#2 Frank

Frank

Advanced Member

• Trumba Community Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:32 PM

In the Trumba Hosted Calendar Page, the bottom 3 calendars, view chooser, and time zone picker spuds, do not appear (I'm using FireFox browser). Also, the date below date finder calendar is good. I had inserted a date. It's nice to see that included; however, it would be nice to have it centered rather than left justified. Nothing major but it looks better, particularly if one has it in a narrow left or right column.

Most importantly, try the new settings with a test calendar and see if everything works the way it should. We look forward to your feedback, and thanks so much for your most excellent work and ideas!

Jill / Trumba UA

#3 Frank

Frank

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:08 PM

I noticed there is no Preview if you edit the fonts and colors on the Publish Settings. There is a sample link but it not that usable since I would believe that the user knows what hex number to add. It would be much more valuable to preview the page rather than saving it, going to a spud and clicking Preview and then having to go back to Publish Settings to save as default and changing another item font color. I had to do this about 4 times just to find which template to change. I would assume that this would be in the upcoming help but, even then, I seldom look at help until the last straw! java script:emoticon(':lol:', 'smid_9')
:lol:

This week's release includes some new beta publishing features and a new publisher dashboard. If your account and calendars are set for beta testing (as described here), you'll see the new dashboard link when you sign in, and the new publish settings the next time you click the Publish button. There are some pretty big changes!

Please take a look at these new pages and let us know what you think. Unfortunately, the Help for these new features is not there yet, and we know it's desperately needed, particularly for the settings on customizing styles. That is in the works, but feel free to ask questions here if you get stuck.

Jill / Trumba UA

#4 klezkidz

klezkidz
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Klezmer

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:30 AM

Please take a look at these new pages and let us know what you think.

Sorry, but the stuff that I (and my site users) loved it now gone.

1. The ability to check off individual events and the 'Add to My Calendar' box and 'other event actions...' spud doesn't seem to be available!!! That's what the folks I'm dealing with LOVE about the calendar.

2. I don't seem to be able to change the colors of each calendar anymore.

3. Maybe some people complained about the 5 step publishing process, which I can understand to some extent, because of the "less is more" philosophy many of us have. In Trumba's case, "more is more," and my vote (assuming I have one) goes to keeping the 5 step process

I unchecked the beta opt-in boxes on all my calendars because I LOVE the way the program has been working without the beta "less is more" approach. It isn't, it's less.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Eric

Edited by klezkidz, 06 October 2006 - 06:31 AM.

#5 Guest_PFM_*

Guest_PFM_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 01:48 PM

Jill:

I am a new user (great product by the way). I have to agree with Franks comments regarding the lack of a preview for editing the colors and fonts. I went through the same thing and spent a long time (trial and error requiring reset to defaults) in trying to identify and change settings on my site. Each time having to save the changes and go to my web page to review.

On a side note, is there a way to change the background color for the days of the week in the month view or to make it transparent?

Thanks again for a great product.

-PFM
web calendar: http://www.chaddsfor...g/calendar.html

#6 Jill

Jill

• PipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:29 PM

Hi Frank,
Thanks for checking out the new features! You're right, explanations of these sections will be in the Help (and there might be a bit of a blurb right in the UI, for example, a sentence under each section heading describing what you affect by changing settings in that section). But I know what you mean.

I also see the point about the preview, and our developer is thinking about that, too. I'm sorry I didn't exactly have anything useful to say in this post, but just wanted to say that your comments were heard! : )

Jill / Trumba UA

#7 Anne

Anne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:29 PM

Thank you klezkidz (Eric). We appreciate your comments.

Sorry, but the stuff that I (and my site users) loved it now gone.

1. The ability to check off individual events and the 'Add to My Calendar' box and 'other event actions...' spud doesn't seem to be available!!! That's what the folks I'm dealing with LOVE about the calendar.

This comment was helpful. The functionality is there to do what you are looking to do. In the Main Calendar Spud section, check out AVAILABLE CALENDAR VIEWS. You can use "Edit Settings" to alter Event selection: from Single to Multiple. Our intent was to automatically pick up the settings that you had previously set for your calendar. This specific setting is not working that way, and our developer who is working on this new functionality has noted what you reported.

2. I don't seem to be able to change the colors of each calendar anymore.

We have a lot of customization that's possible with colors (and fonts). I think the setting you are looking for is toward the top, under the section Publish Settings. To the very right of the line that reads "Mix-in Events from:" you'll see "Edit Event Colors." We are looking into the best location for this.

3. Maybe some people complained about the 5 step publishing process, which I can understand to some extent, because of the "less is more" philosophy many of us have. In Trumba's case, "more is more," and my vote (assuming I have one) goes to keeping the 5 step process.

We've had quite a number of request for customization of various parts of the calendar. We've taken a huge step toward this, but you are right, that this could seem overwhelming. We are discussing the issue you've raised internally, and though I can't promise anything, we will definitely look at how we solve for this from the perspective of power and finer controls and also from the point of view of ease of use.

I unchecked the beta opt-in boxes on all my calendars because I LOVE the way the program has been working without the beta "less is more" approach. It isn't, it's less.

Thanks very much for giving our beta a whirl and for posting your comments. : )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi PFM,

Thanks very much for beta testing and posting your comments.

Though I can't promise exact changes in functionality, I want to mention that our developers are currently considering ideas for how to solve for the issue that you and Frank raised regarding Preview.

On a side note, is there a way to change the background color for the days of the week in the month view or to make it transparent?

Under Available Calendar Views, you'll see the Classic Month as one of the choices. You can use "Edit Fonts and Colors" to alter the settings you are looking to change.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Anne / Trumba Support

#8 Frank

Frank

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:30 PM

No problem. I'm just glad to see that you and the others are on top of this. I'm having difficulty getting support from a menus company I'm using but Trumba is always on top of the support messages. Trumba has great support and I really appreciate it.

'm sorry I didn't exactly have anything useful to say in this post, but just wanted to say that your comments were heard! : )

Jill / Trumba UA

#9 John Freed

John Freed
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:09 PM

This is Fantastic!!! :lol:

One thing that would help me a LOT -- I followed your advice on making the background color transparent for days of the week in the Month view, and it worked fine.

However, I want to use the 5-Week view. When I did exactly the same thing, the background color did NOT change for the days of the week!

Another thing, when I allow people to choose Multiple Events from the spud, the "Select: All, None" box that pops in does not permit me to choose a color scheme, so far as I can tell.

And one more: there is no way to control the color/font scheme for the Upcoming Events spud! The old one, at least, you could turn off the header & footer. Also, the footer doesn't work. (Click on the link that says "See all" and nothing happens.)

So for now I'll go with the Month View and the old Upcoming Events, but I'll be using the Full Monty when these are fixed. Thanks again!

Edited by John Freed, 06 October 2006 - 11:48 PM.

#10 Anne

Anne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 12:59 AM

This is Fantastic!!! :lol:

Glad you like what you see, it's very exciting to able to respond to folks who have been requesting additional customization.

One thing that would help me a LOT -- I followed your advice on making the background color transparent for days of the week in the Month view, and it worked fine.

However, I want to use the 5-Week view. When I did exactly the same thing, the background color did NOT change for the days of the week!

John, I just tried this, and it looks like the transparent setting for the background color of days of the week isn't being honored in the 5-week view. We'll get the issue noted for our developers. Thanks very much - it's a good catch!

Another thing, when I allow people to choose Multiple Events from the spud, the "Select: All, None" box that pops in does not permit me to choose a color scheme, so far as I can tell.

From the testing I've done, what you say appears to be right. I will note your request. As I was testing the options, also noticed that we are not picking up the font size for the calendar names, which we'll need to test.

And one more: there is no way to control the color/font scheme for the Upcoming Events spud! The old one, at least, you could turn off the header & footer. Also, the footer doesn't work. (Click on the link that says "See all" and nothing happens.)

You are correct, there are quite a few customization variables for the current released Upcoming Spud. We don't yet have all the possibilities that you can set up currently available in the beta. Thank you for noting the issue. I'll look into what See All is supposed to do. Previously, this would have taken you to the hosted calendar, but I am not certain what the right behavior is in the beta preview.

So for now I'll go with the Month View and the old Upcoming Events, but I'll be using the Full Monty when these are fixed. Thanks again!

Makes sense. Thank you again for testing and posting your feedback! : )

#11 Gary

Gary

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 07:48 AM

You Trumba folks rock! (Okay, I'm dating myself).

I really like what you're trying to do with the new Beta release.

I've noted many of the same problems mentioned in the above posts. The one I don't think I've seen yet is that my event colors are all screwed up. When I go to the "edit event colors" page, the colors all show properly, but they are all mixed up in my calendar spud. My calendar is "LakotaWestBands"

Thanks

Gary

Edited by Gary, 07 October 2006 - 07:55 AM.

#12 Guest_PFM_*

Guest_PFM_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:48 AM

Anne:

Thanks for your reply. I was looking in the wrong place for the background setting for days of the week. A bit more searching and I found it. Thanks.

John:

On a web site you can still use the code settings to turn off the Upcoming Events Header, Footer and Border as well as make the Spud background transparent.

HideHeader Add HideHeader: "true" to remove the header.
HideFooter Add HideFooter: "true" to remove the footer.
HideBorder Add HideBorder: "true" to remove the border.
Not sure about the <div style="background-color:transparent;"> to make the background transparent. The new Teaser Spud for Upcoming Events seems to be transparent by default.

Go to http://www.trumba.co...udapi.html#args for more...

-PFM

#13 Connie

Connie

• PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:18 AM

Hi Gary. Thanks for trying the Beta.

I haven't seen exactly what you're describing.

But what I am seeing is that no matter what colors I assigned in the editing environment, I see yellow and blue in the preview and the edit event colors window. I did file a bug on this issue.

Can you describe your issue a little more clearly?

THanks.
Connie

#14 John Freed

John Freed
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:36 AM

Gotcha! Found a bug...

When you mix in calendars to be published, in the Publish Settings the mix-in calendars display in the proper order. When you Edit Event Colors (which takes you to a page titled Customize Calendar Colors), the labels for the mixed-in calendars apparently are in a random order. However, the colorizing itself follows the correct order as displayed on the previous (main) page.

Example: my mixed-in calendars are listed on the main Publish Settings page as follows...

1) Cathedral Calendar Regular Events, 2) Cathedral Calendar Regular Services, 3) Cathedral Calendar Special Events, 4) Cathedral Calendar Special Services, 5) Parishioner Calendar Regular Events, 6) Parishioner Calendar Special Events

HOWEVER, when I go to the Customize Calendar Colors page, they are in this order:

0) Parishioner Calendar, 1) Parishioner Calendar Regular Events, 2) Parishioner Calendar Special Events, 3) Cathedral Calendar Regular Events, 4) Cathedral Calendar Regular Services, 5) Cathedral Calendar Special Events, 6) Cathedral Calendar Special Services

So if I want to change, for example, the colors for Parishioner Calendar Regular Events (Calendar #5 on the main page), I have to make the changes on the Customize Calendar Colors page under Cathedral Calendar Special Events (Calendar #5 on the Edit Colors page)

P.S.: I am guessing this is the same problem Gary had.

Edited by John Freed, 09 October 2006 - 09:37 AM.

#15 Gary

Gary

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:41 AM

Connie,

I'll list my event mix-ins followed first by the color that shows correctly in the Edit Events Color window and then by the color that actually appears in the Calendar itself (in parenthesis):

Freshman School - light blue (light blue)
Junior Schools - tan (tan)
LW Color Guard - turquoise (VIOLET)
LW Concert Bands - gray (TURQUOISE)
LW Jazz Bands - violet (GREEN)
LW Marching Firebirds - yellow (WHITE)
School Calendar - white (YELLOW)
Upbeat Club - green (GRAY)

All the correct colors show up...they just seem to show up with the wrong events!!!

I think I gave you the wrong address for my beta calendar before It should be http://www.trumba.co...taWestBandsTest

Thanks! Gary

Edited by Gary, 09 October 2006 - 06:21 PM.

#16 John Freed

John Freed
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:19 AM

Now even more I think Gary and I had the same problem.

Gary can check by looking at the order of calendars on his Publish Settings page. If he listed his calendars in the order they appear on the Edit Events Colors page, I'll bet it's this:

Freshman School, Junior Schools, LW Concert Bands, Upbeat Club, LW Color Guard, School Calendar, LW Marching Firebirds, LW Jazz Bands

#17 Gary

Gary

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:35 PM

John,

I just double checked this and you're right. That is the order shown on my Publish Settings Page.

Gary

Edited by Gary, 09 October 2006 - 12:38 PM.

#18 John Freed

John Freed
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:47 PM

OK, well I think that's pretty solid evidence. I'll note that the order on the Edit Events Colors page is alphabetical. In any case, it's wrong :-) [or, if you prefer, it's wrong on the Publish Settings page -- but in any case they should match!]

#19 Anne

Anne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:54 PM

Hi John and Gary, great catch!

Our developers are looking into the issue (calendar order in the published view).

Your efforts are very much appreciated!

Anne / Trumba Support

#20 Guest_Scott Clasen_*

Guest_Scott Clasen_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:36 AM

I'm having a problem no one's posted yet with this beta version. When you click on an event in the main calendar spud on my website, the When, Where, Notes, Link etc. headers are gone. What happened to those and how can I get them back? They're gone in both IE and FireFox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users