Sign in to follow this  
wyndwoman

Problem with emailed calendar events

I already reported this as a bug, but it's important enough to me that I'm posting it here too, in hopes of quicker action:

Since the new version was rolled out, there's a changed to the way events are handled in emails. In the past, the descriptions were abbreviated to maximize space, but when you clicked on an event name, the resulting pop-up would show the full description.

Now, when you click on the event name, you get a different-looking pop-up, and the description is still abbreviated. The "return to calendar" link is no longer there, so you can't even go to the full calendar and click on the event there.

There's no way to see the whole description!

You are right. I'm sorry that this change is not allowing you to get to event details page as it was possible previously from email.

We received a report about this on Friday and tested so we could reproduce the issue, and noted it for our developers and QA. As soon as we know something more, we'll post an update.

Anne / Trumba Support

I'm sorry to report that it's now worse than before.

If a calendar event has a link in the "more info" field, when you click on the name of the event in the email, you go to the page indicated in the "more info" field. I'm not sure if this was intended, but it's a change from how it was handled before, and I'm not sure it's appropriate. Most people are going to give users a nice summary in the calendar event, with a link to more information, which may not be specifically about the event. So hijacking visitors off to the More Info site is not great.

The other (new) problem is that for the events without a More Info link, when you click on the event name, a local folder opens with a title of "locate link browser" and it's looking for an executable file. Sometimes, it opens a "file not found" page. Can't find a pattern.

This is causing confusion and anxious emails from my users, thining there's something wrong with their computers.

Hi Lorraine,

You're right that going to the web link destination is inappropriate (and unintended). A couple of us found this, too, late last Friday, fortunately before the developer we needed to talk to about it had gone for the weekend. He was able to fix the problem, and he's planning for the fix to be released today. I'm sorry that we weren't able to solve the problem before your Friday mailing went out.

Jill / Trumba UA

I checked the email preview version and see that clicking on an event now gives a full description. However, I still have the problem with the event name being linked to the "More Info" URL, when that field is filled.

Is it a two-part fix, perhaps?

Hi Lorraine,

Well, geez, what a proper Halloween bug that is. I see the same thing that you describe, so I've reopened the issue for our developer to take another look. I'm sorry that it's still not quite behaving like it should. I will try to update this thread when I find out more, but (as always) feel free to nudge me if I'm not back here by Friday.

: )

Jill / Trumba UA

Hey, wyndwoman, thanks for the nudge! : ) It's working for me, too, in the preview and in the message I sent myself.

Just for a little more info, here's how it's now supposed to behave:

* If your calendar is published, clicking the event description goes to the hosted page and opens the event details.

* If calendar is not published, but there's a more info link, clicking event desc. opens the more info link.

* If calendar is not published, and there's no more info link, clicking event desc. opens event actions.

I hope that helps! Crossing my fingers, though, just to make sure...

Jill / Trumba