Sign in to follow this  

Multiple Calendars / Accounts

I'm a technology coordinator for a school district here in NJ. Your site has come up a few times as an alternative to share-point. I was evaluating your product tonight and I can say only 1 thing is holding me back from using this for my district. I suspect the same limitation has kept many school districts from taking a plunge. So here is some helpful info that maybe you will take into consideration and implement.

The calendar needs to accomadate multi-users in a more user friendly way. Buying 9 accounts and sharing them doesn't seem to be the most efficient way to do this. What I would like to see is maybe a higher price package which allows multiple users with permissions on a per calendar bases.

Scenario : I'm the tech coordinator of a 3 school school district. I want 5 calendars. 1 for each of the three schools, one for the district as a whole, and one for the Board of Ed. Obviously I don't want to edit all (really none) of the events. I'd rather create accounts and give certain people access to each of the sites. Superintendent edits district, each principal secretary edits the schools and board secretary handles the board. I don't mind paying for 5 accounts, I just don't like the whole share with each other way of admin.

Thoughts?

Hi Logandros,

Welcome to the Trumba Support Forum and thank you for describing what would be most valuable to you as an administrator. (We might offer more in the future along the lines that you suggest, but I am not able to offer a concrete timeline or specific details at this point.)

At the moment, we do allow calendar level sharing and permissions. As the admin, you could be the one who sets up the calendars, and gives out edit rights to just specific people calendar by calendar.

You could also use the admin account to actually publish the calendars. Perhaps setting up five free trial accounts would allow you to try out exactly what you are looking to accomplish.

We have a number of schools using or evaluating the use of Trumba OneCalendar to publish their calendars. And sincerely hope you will among our school evaluators and that you might eventually choose to become a subscriber.

Best wishes,

Anne / Trumba Support

Here are a links to a few published school calendars that might be helpful:

Mercer Island School District

http://www.misd.k12.wa.us/news/frontpage/trumba.html

University Prep

http://www.universityprep.org/calendar/index.php

http://www.universityprep.org/programs/athletics.php

Teacher published class calendars

Browse Public Calendars (http://www.trumba.com/calendars), select All Calendars (the first choice) and choose N to find some calendars published by Nancy Wallace, Ed.D.

A collection of a few other school-related public calendars

Valley School

http://www.trumba.com/calendars/the_valley_school

8th Grade Summer reading list

http://www.trumba.com/calendars/msbays5thgradecalendar

To be clear on this, if I needed to make 7 different calendars for a sports organization, I would need to buy 7 subscriptions?? I would like to have one calendar for each team, that each coach would be responsible for updating themselves, but that all of the team members could view (and not be able to update). I just want to make sure I am clear on this before I show this to the board members.

Hi Sheide.

Yes, if 7 different coaches would be regularly adding events to calendars, you would need 7 different subscriptions.

To allow all team members to view (and not edit) the calendars, you could just publish each calendar to the Web. For more information about publishing calendars, see Publish calendars to the Web.

Thanks.

Connie

Hi sheide,

As Connie indicated if you have 7 people who are going to be regularly updating calendars you would need to purchase 7 accounts. If one person will be the designated one who is primarily going to actually enter the data in a number of different calendars, you can get by with just one account that you use to publish all 7 schedules.

If it were the one person doing all the updates model that you need to use initially, one way to minimize data entry/errors is to supply each coach with a pre setup Excel spreadsheet indicating the data that you need from them. Then you would check them over and do imports to get the data into Trumba OneCalendar. After the initial data is set up, then if changes are minimal, the one person model could work well. If there are extensive changes, then the schedule update person may have a bit of a challenge keeping up!

You could try it for a while one way, and add one or more coaches as the season progresses or start off with 7 subscriptions. Starting off with 7 accounts has the advantage of getting things started with the clear expectation that the coach would be the one maintaining and publishing the schedule.

I heard a tidbit earlier today from someone who happened to be setting up game calendars that I wanted to pass on. They are setting up each team with two calendars - one for the practices and one for the actual games. This helps them publish a game schedule for the public and a schedule with both games and practices for the players on the team. If you go with the each coach maintaining their own schedule model, they would just be entering in practices and actual games into two separate calendars. (You'd still need just 7 accounts.)

Hope this information is helpful to you as you figure out what scenario to propose to your board members.

Anne / Trumba Support