OnlineComm

Target _blank

We're embedding a trumba spud in a portal channel, and we don't like to load pages on top of the portal pages. Is there a way to have links to event details pop out in a new window?

Evan

Hi Evan,

This question has come up, whether it be wanting to open details (or other link destinations) in a new window or in the same window, essentially wanting to change the default behavior. I believe it's still the case that there's no way to change how it behaves by default. However, I do want to catch up with someone in development about it to see if there has been any recent talk about it, and I haven't been able to do that yet. It might be a few more days, I'm sorry!

Jill / Trumba UA

We're embedding a trumba spud in a portal channel, and we don't like to load pages on top of the portal pages. Is there a way to have links to event details pop out in a new window?

Evan,

This is something we can work on but first I want to understand your situation exactly. You say you don't like to load pages on top of portal pages but instead want to display event details in a new window. Would that new pop-up window not be on top of your portal pages? So you don't care if a new window sits on top of the calendar but you do care if the event details are displayed in the same space as the calendar which is our default behavior. Correct? Set me straight so I can help you out here.

Troy

Edited by Troy

Sorry Troy that I wasn't very clear.

What I meant was that we don't like to load content into the parent window, i.e. the same window that the portal is in. While pop-ups are evil, we prefer for this sort of thing to pop out the content or details into a new window.

Does that clarify things?

Thanks.

Evan

What I meant was that we don't like to load content into the parent window, i.e. the same window that the portal is in. While pop-ups are evil, we prefer for this sort of thing to pop out the content or details into a new window.

I think we're almost there. When you say you don't like loading content into the parent window that tells me you have a frameset. I know that we don't play well with framesets right now. Is this the issue?

If you've got a URL I can look at it would help me understand just what is the bad behavior on our part.

Edited by Troy

I think we're almost there. When you say you don't like loading content into the parent window that tells me you have a frameset. I know that we don't play well with framesets right now. Is this the issue?

If you've got a URL I can look at it would help me understand just what is the bad behavior on our part.

Troy -- Sorry, I'm still being overly complicated. Let me try this: We'd like to be able to pop out events / event details in a new window. :)

When I used the term parent I didn't mean to imply framesets. I really just meant that we don't want people to browse out of the portal every time they're being linked to a resource that isn't part of the portal -- we don't want outside resources to open in the same window as the portal.

I think my request is actually pretty simple, and probably what Jill was referring to. I just made it overly complicated by my lazy choice of words.

We'd like to be able to pop out events / event details in a new window. :)

My brain gets it now :) ! Let's get even more specific - I'm assuming that you've got a Trumba calendar spud embedded on a page in your portal right? And you want event detail links to display in a new window, a pop-up window, not the window in which the calendar/portal is being displayed. The user would then have to close that external window using the back to calendar link (we'd pass the page enough info to know that it should do a window.close()) or using the native OS window close button. That's what you're digging right?

-Troy

My brain gets it now :) ! Let's get even more specific - I'm assuming that you've got a Trumba calendar spud embedded on a page in your portal right? And you want event detail links to display in a new window, a pop-up window, not the window in which the calendar/portal is being displayed. The user would then have to close that external window using the back to calendar link (we'd pass the page enough info to know that it should do a window.close()) or using the native OS window close button. That's what you're digging right?

-Troy

Exactly. :)

And of course, that should be an optional element for a spud -- since we may not want that behavior in other places we may use the same spud. :)

-Evan