Sign in to follow this  
Singular

Questions about NY Times examples

Hello all,

I have a couple of questions regarding the NY Times example on the home page. In the following image, there are three images of cars with a title and location to the right but no date. How did they do it with no date? Or is it not a spud?

ss_nytimes_teaser_02.png

Next question is: How do I do #5 from this image? Is it just copying the code that we place into our on web pages or is there a specific link that they follow to do it?

ss_nytimes_teaser_01.png

thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe,

The NY Times spuds were actually custom developed for them (for custom pricing). For the Car Club tab, the list of photos with descriptions is not a spud itself, but it looks like it's part of the custom spud. It also looks like the destination pages of those links are part of the customization (custom event detail pages).

They have custom coding for #5 as well, but you can do this the way that you're thinking. That is, if you wanted people to add your upcoming spud to their sites, you could have your link that, when people clicked it, would display the upcoming spud code (which you take from your pub control panel). You could either use some JavaScript to do a hide/display type of link, or you could simply direct the link to a section that you have at the bottom of the page or another page on your site that shows the spud code.

There are tons of JavaScript examples on the Web for this kind of "hide/display content" code. For one example, you could look at the source for our Help topic that we have available for calendar users. Here's the topic. (Disclaimer: I don't know whether it's the best implementation out there, but it works. : )

Jill / Trumba UA

They have custom coding for #5 as well, but you can do this the way that you're thinking. That is, if you wanted people to add your upcoming spud to their sites, you could have your link that, when people clicked it, would display the upcoming spud code (which you take from your pub control panel). You could either use some JavaScript to do a hide/display type of link, or you could simply direct the link to a section that you have at the bottom of the page or another page on your site that shows the spud code.

Jill / Trumba UA

Thanks Jill,

The customizations for NY Times are great. So if I wanted to allow others to add a spud to their sites, I could just provide them with the spud code. My next question is: Would there be a way to track this? Would I be able to do a search of some sort or run a report that would let me know what websites are using my calendar?

thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe,

You can track the number views that spuds get in your Publisher Dashboard. I wonder whether it would parse out which individual spud (i.e., location) had how many hits, though. I don't know that it would, but let me look into it. That would be cool.

Jill

Hey Jill,

Instead of tracking the different spuds needed by giving the spud code to others to use on their websites, couldn't I create a different calendar for each website that wants to have it on their site? The "Owning Calendar" would be yours and then you could show the events on the other calendars as well. That way, you could assign a unique web site address to it and in the publish settings you could include the website where the spud will be found. I guess that would ensure that if it was misused, I could easily stop them from using it by deleting the calendar. I would also be able to view individual stats on the dashboard for that website, because it would not be included in my spuds stats.

Would that work?

Joe

Hi Joe,

I think you've got something here! I asked our Dashboard developer about this, and he confirmed, but had a few key changes. So here's what he said:

1. Create a separate calendar for each sponsor who wants a spud on their site.
  2. Add events only to your calendar and don't worry about using Also Shows On.
  3. Publish all of these calendars separately, but
    • Leave the Calendar address setting blank. It's the Calendar name (web name) setting that matters here, not the address. (He said it's actually better to let Trumba figure out what the address is based on spud views. If you leave it blank, Trumba apparently plugs one in after a week or so.)
    • Mix your calendar into each sponsor's calendar that you publish.

[*]Send each sponsor the spud code for their particular calendar, making sure you entered the correct teaserBase variable for finding the main calendar spud. This is probably the page on your site, right? They aren't gonna embed the main spud in their sites, are they?

Thanks for your great idea! Let me know how it works.

Jill / Trumba UA

[*]Send each sponsor the spud code for their particular calendar, making sure you entered the correct teaserBase variable for finding the main calendar spud. This is probably the page on your site, right? They aren't gonna embed the main spud in their sites, are they?

Thanks for your great idea! Let me know how it works.

Jill / Trumba UA

They are going to embed the calendar spud I create for them on their site, not my main spud. I am a bit confused about the teaserbase. Do calendar spuds have teaserbases? How would I do that?

Hi Joe,

Any promotion spud that isn't on the same page as your main calendar spud should include the teaserBase variable, so that the spud knows where to go when someone clicks an event in the promotion spud. When you give your people their spud code, it should include this variable.

We have a spud FAQ that talks about how to add the teaserBase, and you can find it here: Get your promotion spuds pointed at the correct destination.

Adding a teaserBase to your date finder spud will also solve the problem you described in your other post. : )

Jill / Trumba UA

Hi Joe,

Any promotion spud that isn't on the same page as your main calendar spud should include the teaserBase variable, so that the spud knows where to go when someone clicks an event in the promotion spud. When you give your people their spud code, it should include this variable.

We have a spud FAQ that talks about how to add the teaserBase, and you can find it here: Get your promotion spuds pointed at the correct destination.

Adding a teaserBase to your date finder spud will also solve the problem you described in your other post. : )

Jill / Trumba UA

Awesome. Thanks Jill.

Hi Jill,

I finally got around to doing this. I created a sample sponsor calendar called "Sample". I mixed in all of the events from my calendar "asingularcreation" which is located on my web site. I added the code for "sample" on a diiferent web site to test it. The calendar works, but the teaserbase, which I have set to the page where "asingularcreation" is located, is not working. When you click on an event, you remain on the same website.

So I tried putting the code from my main calendar "asingularcreation" with the correct teaserbase, on the other test web site. The calendar works, but if you click an event, it still won't take you to the correct web page. You stay on the other web page. Here is the link to the test site: http://golfngamblin.com/test.htm

thanks,

Joe

Edited by Singular