OnlineComm

Date Range for Embedded Calendar / Spud

I am researching the use of Trumba to display our University's athletic schedule/scores table. I believe we've found that it will work pretty well. One remaining issue is whether or not we can set an embedded calendar to display a certain date range, and only a certain date range. Athletics seasons span months (and years) and aren't always contained nicely in one month increments.

I know there is a date= URL parameter that can be used to set a start date. Is there such a parameter to set an end date? I'm particularly interested in doing this for a classic table calendar view.

Additionally, as we like to archive our schedules/scores, this date range could be used to display old schedules (date ranges) from the same calendar -- assuming that past events are kept in the Trumba DB for some time. How long are they kept? Permanently?

Thanks!

Evan

Edited by OnlineComm

Hi Evan,

I hope we can find a way to make Trumba work for this! Currently anything that you put on the calendar that you publish -- be it in the past, present, or future -- is available in the spuds and feeds, even when you add parameters that manipulate the default display. For example, if you specify a start date in the URL parameters, people can still navigate back farther to see the past events.

The way that others have achieved what you want to do (don't display dates farther out than a particular date) is to create a separate "master" calendar that holds all of the events and is not published. Then, on a separate calendar that you do publish, when it's time to display the events in the spud on your site, bulk copy those events from the unpublished calendar to the published calendar. It sounds slightly clunky, and how clunky it is would depend on how many mix-ins you use for this. Let me know if I can help further in figuring this out.

Past events are kept as long as you have your account, and they are available for browsing in the spud by default (or the feed if the customer knows how to customize the feeds him- or herself). One thing about archives. Although we have many levels of backup processes in place, you might want to export your calendar into an .ics file from time to time. If that once-in-a-lifetime, unexplainable-in-human-language disaster should happen, you'll still have your calendar archive available in a file on your computer. : )

I hope this helps a little.

Jill / Trumba UA

Jill,

Thanks for the information.

I realize and have no problem with people being able to move forward and backward (though I wouldn't mind a future feature that could optionally disable that. :)) That isn't a showstopper.

What is a problem is the method you described for showing only a certain date range. I think, for us, it's a bit much to ask of the individuals who would be maintaining those calendars. And, with 15 some sports... that could get a little crazy to try and manage.

Is there any chance you could submit a feature request for an enddate URL spud parameter and/or option that could be set for a calendar? I realize I probably won't see that any time soon (though I will hope!), but I believe it could be very useful to have and, frankly, is analogous to the date= parameter to set a start date.

Thanks.

Evan

Hi Evan,

Of course, I will submit the end date parameter idea or similar publish setting as a feature request.

Meanwhile, Anne let me know of an excellent alternative. It involves setting up your calendars as you would if you had a submission form. Instead of having the form, though, you just add the events directly to the calendar that user-submitted events would go to via the form. Then you approve events that you want to put on your published calendar. The procedure for setting up your calendars is in Set up calendars for the event submission process. I'm guessing that you would want to create event categories, so in that topic, you'd scroll down a little and follow the Event categories, approval process procedure. But take a look at the others just to make sure.

When your events are on the Submitted calendars, you can "approve" selected events to move them to your published calendar (technically, to the calendars that are mixed into your published calendar). Let me know if I can explain this in more detail after you check it out.

(Also, just for what it's worth, if you didn't care about color-coding or mix-ins, you could set up event types for each category instead. You could then have one published calendar and one unpublished. To allow visitors to view events by category, you could set up filters on the published calendar that let them view events by event type.)

Hope I didn't just convolute things! Check out that event submission idea, I think it would work well.

Jill

Hi Evan,

Of course, I will submit the end date parameter idea or similar publish setting as a feature request.

Meanwhile, Anne let me know of an excellent alternative. It involves setting up your calendars as you would if you had a submission form. Instead of having the form, though, you just add the events directly to the calendar that user-submitted events would go to via the form. Then you approve events that you want to put on your published calendar. The procedure for setting up your calendars is in Set up calendars for the event submission process. I'm guessing that you would want to create event categories, so in that topic, you'd scroll down a little and follow the Event categories, approval process procedure. But take a look at the others just to make sure.

When your events are on the Submitted calendars, you can "approve" selected events to move them to your published calendar (technically, to the calendars that are mixed into your published calendar). Let me know if I can explain this in more detail after you check it out.

(Also, just for what it's worth, if you didn't care about color-coding or mix-ins, you could set up event types for each category instead. You could then have one published calendar and one unpublished. To allow visitors to view events by category, you could set up filters on the published calendar that let them view events by event type.)

Hope I didn't just convolute things! Check out that event submission idea, I think it would work well.

Jill

Thanks Jill. That seems like it would work. We may try that yet this spring, or just wait until the Fall sports start up again in hopes that maybe there'd be a simpler solution by then. Not trying to be difficult, but it's pretty difficult for some individuals to just maintain their Web content. I'm really trying to avoid adding anything else to their plates that has more than one step to it. :) But I certainly appreciate the various suggestions, and we'll consider them.

By the way, here is the type of page we're trying to duplicate: http://www.taylor.edu/athletics/wbasketbal.../schedule.shtml Of course, we don't expect the table to look exactly like that, but we're looking to approximate it as best we can.

Thanks again!

Evan

Hi Evan,

Thanks for the sample! I think you can get pretty close with custom fields, etc. Keep us posted on your progress when you decide to put it together. : )

Jill

Hi Evan,

Thanks for the sample! I think you can get pretty close with custom fields, etc. Keep us posted on your progress when you decide to put it together. : )

Jill

Hi Jill. We're really wanting to use an embedded calendar for our sports pages this fall. Any chance that there has been or will be any progress on a way to use parameters to limit the displayed date range of an embedded calendar (as discussed above -- without having to have a master and sub calendars)?

Evan