Sign in to follow this  
johnbjr

Public vs Private / Internet vs. Intranet

I would like to publish a Trumba calendar to my organization's Intranet. My idea is that this internal calendar would have events from our public (Internet) events calendar, as well as additional internal-only events.

I know I can use secure URLs and mix-ins to accomplish this (mixing events from public calendars into the Intranet calendars I will also create).

But, I'm wondering if it's possible to have certain event fields attached to public events that don't display on public calendars, but that I could display on my Intranet calendars?

For example, it would be great to have an "Internal Notes" field that contained many details about an event that we get asked via telephone all the time, but that would clutter up the public events calendar (parking info, meal choices, dress code, and so on). I would not publish this field to the event descriptions on the public calendars, but I would publish this field to the event descriptions on the Intranet calendars.

That way, our customer service folks could use the Intranet calendar as a knowledge base about our events, yet we'd maintain the efficiency of having just the one Trumba calendar database.

Is there any way to accomplish this today?

Thanks,

John D.B.

UW Alumni Association

Hi John D.B.,

Wow, that would be great to have. I just talked to one of our spud developers to make sure I wasn't missing anything, and he confirmed that it isn't something we can do today. It would involve creating a new setting for custom fields that would allow you to hide them on the public calendar but show them on computers that have the secure access. He thought it was a great feature request, though. Meanwhile, the only other option(s) I can think of involve having two separate calendars and creating each event separately on each calendar (which to me doesn't seem feasible). I'm sorry I can't give you a better workaround, but thanks for the request.

Jill / Trumba UA

I just talked to one of our spud developers to make sure I wasn't missing anything, and he confirmed that it isn't something we can do today.

Hi, Jill,

I was wondering whether the Trumba developers had thought more about this feature request, and perhaps put it on the product development roadmap? More scenarios have arisen in which I could definitely make use of this or similar functionality.

Thanks,

John D.B.

University of Washington Alumni Association

Hi John,

I'm sorry I am late in seeing your post! In case you noticed, I posted a response a few mins. ago thinking I might have a way to do this, but I'm removing that post because I overlooked a critical detail in the suggestion I gave. I'm so sorry! I knew I should've tested first and posted later...

I'm still going to test the idea I have and let you know what I find. I'll be back later today or Monday.

Jill

I'm still going to test the idea I have and let you know what I find. I'll be back later today or Monday.

Hi, Jill,

Did you get a chance to test your idea?

Thanks,

johnbjr

Hi Johnbjr,

Thanks for bumping this up, because I apparently can't be trusted to followup on my own accord! (ugh.) : \

I did try this, and it worked as I'd thought -- actually less well than I'd thought. In the post that I deleted, I was thinking you could use the parameter for displaying unpublished fields in your secure URL spud code. (This is the field I found out about when you asked about using the Google Maps pins.) But when I posted, I had forgotten that you have to be signed in to Trumba for that to work, so I quickly deleted it.

What else I found out in my test is that the parameter works only for the feeds, not the spud code. Still, you could add the secure URL parameters to the feed URL to get the private fields to display on your secure calendar, but again, there's the issue of having to be signed in.

I'll include this in the next feature request report I send along to development to see if I can get any response. I'm sorry I don't have more helpful news now.

Jill / Trumba Client Services