OnlineComm

URL Parameters and Filters

Could you help me figure out why the following URL parameter isn't working?

http://www.taylor.edu/community/calendar.s...aylor%20Ringers

I'm wanting to show only filtered events on a certain mixed in calendar which is embedded in a page. Am I able to do that?

ALSO. When I preview the Filter spud to see if I want to use it, only a subset of all my list choices are showing. Is this by design in the preview, or is there a reason why they aren't all showing up?

Thanks.

Evan

Hi Evan,

I tried this with your calendar in a page I created, where I put the URL parameters in normal spud code, and there's one thing I can't determine. If you go to the Edit Publish Settings page (display pub control panel and click Edit Publish Settings button in top section), in the Event Filters section, do you have the Ensemble field set up as one of your filters? When I tried to just embed a filter spud for your calendar, nothing displayed, and I'm wondering if that's the reason. I was able to display filters for other calendars that I know have them set up in publishing settings, but if they weren't set up, I got the same behavior that I got for your spud.

Can you let me know how your filters are set up in the publishing settings? I think your URL syntax is correct if you have a filter set up for your Ensemble field.

Jill / Trumba UA

Hi Evan,

I tried this with your calendar in a page I created, where I put the URL parameters in normal spud code, and there's one thing I can't determine. If you go to the Edit Publish Settings page (display pub control panel and click Edit Publish Settings button in top section), in the Event Filters section, do you have the Ensemble field set up as one of your filters? When I tried to just embed a filter spud for your calendar, nothing displayed, and I'm wondering if that's the reason. I was able to display filters for other calendars that I know have them set up in publishing settings, but if they weren't set up, I got the same behavior that I got for your spud.

Can you let me know how your filters are set up in the publishing settings? I think your URL syntax is correct if you have a filter set up for your Ensemble field.

Jill / Trumba UA

Yep. It is set up there. I checked that too. It's the only filter field set up, and the values are: Label = Ensemble; Allow = Multiple Values.

Evan

Hi Evan,

Let's find out first whether your filter spud itself is working, then we can worry about the URL. If you try to embed the filter spud on a page where you have your calendar, does it display as it should? And if it does, does it work as expected?

Also, in your filter settings on the Publish Settings page, you have Label = Ensemble and Value = Allow mutliple -- what is the value under Field? I'm sorry to ask the obvious, but I'm trying to see exactly how you have it set up, because it's working for me for other calendars.

If you can't get the filter spud to display, you might also try setting up a filter for a different field, to see if it behaves any differently.

Jill

Hi Evan,

Let's find out first whether your filter spud itself is working, then we can worry about the URL. If you try to embed the filter spud on a page where you have your calendar, does it display as it should? And if it does, does it work as expected?

Also, in your filter settings on the Publish Settings page, you have Label = Ensemble and Value = Allow mutliple -- what is the value under Field? I'm sorry to ask the obvious, but I'm trying to see exactly how you have it set up, because it's working for me for other calendars.

If you can't get the filter spud to display, you might also try setting up a filter for a different field, to see if it behaves any differently.

Jill

Jill,

I embedded the Performing Arts calendar in a page (http://www.taylor.edu/academics/acaddepts/music/calendar.shtml) that I could test with since I didn't want to embed the filter spud on our main calendar page. So, the difference is that I'm now working the the performing arts calendar itself and not the main calendar with the performing arts calendar mixed in.

That said, the Filter spud is working on that page, though it isn't showing all of the items that I've listed in the Ensemble custom field. And, I still can't seem to be able to get a URL to filter that calendar.

Field = Ensemble

Does that help at all?

And not to switch gears in the middle of a support request, but I wanted to ask this before I forgot: Is there a way to create a custom field that allows multiple selections? The issue is that sometimes a music event might include more than one Ensemble. Right now, I can only assign one ensemble per event.

I guess I could create custom fields like Ensemble 1, Ensemble 2, Ensemble 3. But that seems a bit unwieldy. Any alternatives?

Thanks.

Evan

Hi Evan,

Thanks for the answers and for letting me know the spud itself works. Yes, that helps! I got some info about the latest issue you're having, the one where the spud doesn't display all of the relevant items. Our developers think there might be something going on behind the scenes, and one of them is taking a look right now. I'm sorry that you've run into this and hope I can report back soon with a resolution.

Let me consult with my expert colleagues about your other question, too. There isn't a way to set up a custom field for which you can select multiple values (as you saw), but maybe someone's come up with a slick alternative.

Jill / Trumba UA

Hi again, Evan,

Back with more about both issues. First, about the values that aren't showing. The current behavior is such that the values won't display in the filter if no events use them, even if you include them as possibilities. (Likewise, if you have no current or future events that include values that you've used in the past, and those past events are still on your calendar, the values will still display in the filter spud even if you remove them from your custom field.) I actually misunderstood initially, thinking that you were saying that some events weren't being returned, even though the Ensemble field was set to the value that you filtered on. I'm sorry about that. Also, if you do have events in which the Ensemble field is set to a value that isn't showing up in the filter, would you be able to post or PM me with info on which events those are, so dev can take a closer look?

Also, I talked to Anne about the multiple-value custom fields issue, and it turns out that the procedure you suggested in your earlier post is the best alternative available right now. That is, including all of the combinations you have in the drop-down list values that you create. Anne agreed that this is not ideal, and she did have word from dev that multiple-value custom fields are coming soon.

I'm sorry I'm not able to give the most exciting news. But let me know about the filter value issue...

Jill

Hi again, Evan,

Back with more about both issues. First, about the values that aren't showing. The current behavior is such that the values won't display in the filter if no events use them, even if you include them as possibilities. (Likewise, if you have no current or future events that include values that you've used in the past, and those past events are still on your calendar, the values will still display in the filter spud even if you remove them from your custom field.) I actually misunderstood initially, thinking that you were saying that some events weren't being returned, even though the Ensemble field was set to the value that you filtered on. I'm sorry about that. Also, if you do have events in which the Ensemble field is set to a value that isn't showing up in the filter, would you be able to post or PM me with info on which events those are, so dev can take a closer look?

Also, I talked to Anne about the multiple-value custom fields issue, and it turns out that the procedure you suggested in your earlier post is the best alternative available right now. That is, including all of the combinations you have in the drop-down list values that you create. Anne agreed that this is not ideal, and she did have word from dev that multiple-value custom fields are coming soon.

I'm sorry I'm not able to give the most exciting news. But let me know about the filter value issue...

Jill

Jill -- Thanks. All of that makes sense and I'm looking forward to the multi-value custom fields that are coming soon. :)

Just to clarify. Is there still an issue with the spud? Did your developers respond to that yet? Or, was your last message meant to cover that? Because while everything you stated made sense -- especially with those fields not showing up because they're not used -- there does still seem to be an issue with the spud and the events not being returned -- because we do have events that were tagged with Taylor Ringers as the ensemble.

Evan

Hi Evan,

My last message was meant to just cover the part about items not showing up on the filter itself if there aren't events that contain the values. The events not getting returned might be a separate issue. Just to make sure I understand, in those events, you've set the value for Ensemble to Taylor Ringers. Then when you filter on Taylor Ringers, the events aren't included in the results?

Are the events that aren't returned events that you've just created that day, and if you try again the next day, are they returned? If they are not, could you send me some info about specific events that aren't behaving properly? The developers can resume their analysis if I can point them to specific events. Thanks! I'm sorry that it's taking time to get through all the layers of what's going on!

Jill