Sign in to follow this  
steve.swack

Calendar Width Issue

Hi,

We are currenty looking into developing calendar system for a client (a local waterpark) who would like to be able to, on their end, make event changes to a master calendar, which would then be fed into individual pages for the different types of events they hold. Trumba seems to be a good option for doing this, and offers the control over the calendar system required.

The problem I am having involves the process of actually embedding the spuds into the prexisting pages for the site. The 'list' calendar view seems to be most appropriate in terms of information offered and how its structured, however I have been unable to format it such that the prev \ next \ print \ subscribe \rss options at the top are not forced together in an overlapping manner. I have tried using the div overflow method described in the faq, but this does not alleviate the problem. For the purposes requested by the client, it seems as if we could do without the print and subscribe options, if need be, but I have been equally unable to find any way to gain control over these options. You can view an example of the problem I am experiencing here:

http://www.sandcastlewaterpark.com/cal_jukebox.php

Thanks for your help,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Trumba forums, and I hope we can make Trumba work for you and your client!

I see what you mean and am able to reproduce this behavior with your calendar in my own test file. The behavior is the same in Firefox and Internet Explorer, however, in your site, it happens for me only in Firefox. When I open your URL in Internet Explorer, the area that contains the calendar is wide enough to accommodate the row of event actions at the top.

There actually isn't a way to manipulate or remove any of these event action items yet (sorry you spent time looking for a way), but what you can do to make this work in Firefox is increase the width in the div that contains the calendar (or whichever one is affecting it -- you might have to experiment a little). In testing it, it seemed that a minimum width that worked best without these elements overlapping was around 375px. It just occurred to me that we didn't check to see if it changed according to what view you're using, so if you want to use the View chooser spud to offer multiple views, it might be worth checking that out.

Also, regarding the div/overflow method in the faq, did you look at the section Special case: Multi-day template specifically? A colleague and I tried using that method with your calendar, and we were able to get it to work. When you create the two divs, the key is to make the "inner" one the width that allows enough space for all of the calendars items (i.e., 375px or greater), and set the "outer" div to the width you want the content area of your page to be, with the overflow attribute on the outer div, to add the scrolling. (Sorry if I'm stating what's obvious to you -- just want to make sure I cover everything for whoever's reading.) There is a way to set scrolling to be only horizontal, and let me know if you want that info. I just don't have it at the top of my head.

All that said, this "nested div" procedure is kind of a hack workaround. If you are able to check into your style sheets to see what might cause the calendar width to be treated differently in different browsers, that would be best. If you have any other questions about figuring that out, I'm glad to help as much as I can.

Hope this helps. Good luck, and let me know what you find out.

Jill / Trumba User Assistance

Thanks for you quick reply, Jill. I was unable to reproduce the overflow setting you suggested on my site, probably due to the same css issue which threw off the calendar width to begin with. I was, however, able to solve the problem by using an iframe to pull the content into the page. This seems to override the width issue, and the calendar now displays as I intended. I still have some cross-browser testing to do, but this seems to have done the trick. I will be in touch if I need any more help.

Thanks alot,

Steve

One more question-- is there a way for me to edit the color of the PREV and NEXT tabs? The light blue color they sit on in my site makes them a little hard to read.. i assume they would change color if i changed the overall color scheme, however I am happy with the rest of the color scheme. Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

You can manipulate the size, color, and font of those PREV and NEXT links in the Global Header section of the global style settings. That's the form that you get to when you click Edit Styles in the header section of the Publish Settings in the Pub Control Panel.

Excellent to know that you found the solution to the width issue. Thanks for letting me know what you did!

Jill / Trumba UA