Sign in to follow this  
OnlineComm

Inheritance of Mix-ins

I have a top-level calendar that mixes in a sub-calendar. This calendar has several sub-calendars which it mixes-in. I was expecting that the events in those third-level sub-pages would show in the top-level calendar, but they don't. Is there any way to get them to show WITHOUT mixing them directly into the top-level calendar?

Since there are quite a few of those third-level sub calendars, I don't want to have them all show up individually as mixed into the top-level calendar. That's why I was hoping I could have those events inherited up through the second level sub calendar.

Let me know if I've confused you. :)

Evan

Hi Evan,

I think I get what you are saying : ). I don't expect that calendar/sub-calendar inheritance will change any time soon, so here is the best solution I can offer at the moment.

The way to get events from a third-level subcalendar to show in a mixed-in sub-calendar without mixing the third-level sub-calendar directly into the top-level calendar is to do the following:

Mark the events in the third-level sub-calender as Also Shows On and specify the mixed-in sub-calendar as where they also show. This way, the events are still owned by the third-level sub-calendar, but copies of the events appear in the mixed-in subcalendars. The drawback to this is that you are seeing the same events in the third-level and second-level calendars and you can't mix them out.

Here's a post that discusses this (though for a slightly different issue): http://forums.trumba.com/index.php?s=&...post&p=4751

Here is a help topic on using the Also Shows On feature:

http://www.trumba.com/help/event.html#form

To add multiple events to the a calendar, view your events in List view, then select (check) the one you want to also show on another calendar. Then choose the Add events to... option at the top of the list and select the calendar you want them to also appear on (click Go to complete the process).

Kind regards,

Nancy / Trumba Support

I could test this, but I think what you're saying is that the drawback is that I wouldn't be able to filter the second-level calendar my mix-ins because even if I did those events will still show up because they've been marked to show up on that second-level calendar.

Is that correct?

If so, that's really a bummer. There are several places where inheritance would really, really help us. As in, where we could meet the request of our president. :) I'm afraid not being able to do this is a roadblock. :(

No chance this will be changing anytime soon?

Evan

Hi Evan,

Just jumping in because Nancy's out today. You're correct in that you wouldn't be able to filter just the second level, because the third would be automatically attached to it through the Also Shows On selection. You'd have to unshow and show the third-level events each time you wanted to view just the 2nd level or 1st and 2nd levels. Given your additional info, maybe mixing would be better.

For what it's worth, my understanding is that mix-ins work the way they do for flexibility reasons, and that the intended behavior is that you explicitly select each calendar you want to mix into another. There isn't really much inheritance built into the sub-calendar structure. So, rather than mix-ins being limited to only children or siblings of a calendar, you can mix any calendar into any other (with exceptions if you have view-only permissions for the calendar), as well as into multiple other calendars. When you mix it into one, you might want its mixed-in events as well, but if you mix it into another, you might not.

I'm just guessing that's what some of the rationale is, but I'll see if I can catch one of our developers to confirm and will let you know if I'm off-base or can offer any further clarification or tips. If they are open to considering the kind of change you're looking for, we'll send them the feature request. I'm sorry that we don't have any more encouraging info to offer at the moment.

On somewhat related note, although Nancy's correct that there hasn't been any talk of this behavior changing, some pretty significant changes in the way your calendars are displayed in the editing environment are coming as early as this week or next. One of us will post a separate message with a link to more details when it's about to go live.

Jill / Trumba Client Services

Thanks Jill.

Just to clarify, I'm referring to the display when embedding (or the hosted calendar). I'm not concerned about the display in the editing view.

And I certainly understand the reasonings that you list. Perfectly reasonable, and I would hope that the current behavior could always exist if one wanted.

But what I'm trying to do is effectively manage about three different levels of calendars. Let me give you the case study:

We have a main calendar for our campus at:
That calendar mixes in 8 sub-calendars, including an Athletics calendar.

Now that the main calendar has been up and working well, we would like to embed the Athletics calendar in in Athletics Web site:

But instead of using filters on events stored in the main Athletics calendar, we would like to create sub-calendars of the Athletics calendar for each of our 15 sports. This would allow us to embed each sport sub-calendar in its respective Web site with unique fields, etc. We would then mix those sub-calendars into the main Athletics calendar embedded in the Athletics site so a visitor could get a quick overview of all Athletics events.

However, we would also like those events to show up on our main campus calendar. Since that campus calendar already has 8 mix-ins, we don't want to add 15 more. That would give us 23 mix-ins, with the potential for more, and would overwhelm our visitors with too many calendars to choose from.

That's why I'm asking about inheritance. If we chose to mix-in sub-calendars into the Athletics calendar, it would make sense that those would show up on our main campus calendar if it mixed-in the Athletics calendar. At least an option to be able to do so.

Does that make sense?

Hi Evan,

This does make sense, thanks, but I'm wondering if you actually could use event types anyway for the sub-levels under Athletics. Could you give me a couple of hours to mull this over and see if I can come up with an alternative that you might find worth checking out?

Jill / Trumba Client Services

You can certainly try. You know more about the product than I. :)

However, unless I'm missing something, I don't think that filtering by event type would get us where we want to be. Why? Because we would want different fields to display for each sport's embedded calendar.

For instance, some sports we'd want to show a custom field with a link to a Webcast, but not for other sports. Some sports likewise would have custom fields specific to them that shouldn't show up in other sports.

If I understand correctly, I could embed the main Athletics calendar with all sporting events and then filter by event type, but I couldn't pass a parameter to that to make the embedded calendar only show certain custom fields. I could be wrong on that. But if I'm not, then it won't meet what we want to do.

Also, the issue with filtering by event type is the filter spud. It's a vertical spud that would be difficult to integrate into our look/feel when placed on the page with the embedded main Athletics calendar (we wouldn't use it for each embedded sport calendar.) If it could be displayed horizontally like the mix-ins panel at http://www.taylor.edu/community/calendar.shtml, then it would be more useful.

Yes. I tend to be picky. :(

Alright, this is taking me longer than a couple of hours. :) I need to hit up one of our developers for further info, so I probably won't be back til tomorrow afternoon. I'm sorry, Evan! I'm also sending you a PM with some more specific info.

Jill