Sign in to follow this  
Hilary

Calendar Users Question

Can you let me know if a published calendar can be synchronised with Outlook 2003 more than one moth at a time, i.e. If someone wanted to upload a year's worth of festival dates.

Presently if you tick an item and then scroll forward to the next month, you use anything already ticked.

We display our published calendar in a monthly format not as a list.

Hi Hilary.

Let me repeat what you're asking just to make sure I'm understanding it correctly.

You have a published calendar with festival dates on it for a year. The published calendar is in Month view. You want to add all of the festival dates for the year to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.

So you're wondering if you can do that all at once or if you have to add each month separately.

If that's a correct statement of your question, the answer is that you can add only one view's worth (in your case, a month) of events at a time to your Outlook calendar.

However, there is another approach that will allow you to export all of the events to a file that you can then import into Outlook.

Click the iCal link at the top right corner of the calendar to export the events to an .ics file. You can then import that .ics file into Outlook to add all of the festival dates at once. In Outlook, display your calendar. On the File menu, select Import and Export. In the Wizard, select Import an iCalendar (.ics) or vCalendar (.vcs) file. Locate the file and click OK. Decide whether you want to add the events to your current calendar or create a new calendar.

If I misunderstood your question, please let me know and we can try again to get you the information you need.

Connie

Trumba Support

Hi Hilary.

Let me repeat what you're asking just to make sure I'm understanding it correctly.

You have a published calendar with festival dates on it for a year. The published calendar is in Month view. You want to add all of the festival dates for the year to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.

So you're wondering if you can do that all at once or if you have to add each month separately.

If that's a correct statement of your question, the answer is that you can add only one view's worth (in your case, a month) of events at a time to your Outlook calendar.

However, there is another approach that will allow you to export all of the events to a file that you can then import into Outlook.

Click the iCal link at the top right corner of the calendar to export the events to an .ics file. You can then import that .ics file into Outlook to add all of the festival dates at once. In Outlook, display your calendar. On the File menu, select Import and Export. In the Wizard, select Import an iCalendar (.ics) or vCalendar (.vcs) file. Locate the file and click OK. Decide whether you want to add the events to your current calendar or create a new calendar.

If I misunderstood your question, please let me know and we can try again to get you the information you need.

Connie

Trumba Support

Hi Connie

Thanks for your answer, you understood me perfectly.

I have tried using the ical tab in the published calendar but only get a single item to upload. What am I doing wrong?

Is it something to do with the way we have published the calendar?>

Thanks again

Hilary

Hi Hilary,

Connie's out today, but I think I can help. Can I just make sure which iCal/.ics option you used? I've seen this happen if you use the Download option in the Event Actions page or if you double-click the .ics file to open it in Outlook. If, when the main calendar is displayed, you click the iCal link in the upper-right area of the main calendar, it should allow you to download an .ics file of the entire calendar. I just tried it at the Trumba Tribune site, and it worked as I expected.

Another thing you could try, which also lets you download the whole calendar, is again go to the main calendar, and click the Subscribe link. Then on the subscribe page, select Download iCalendar File, and then click the button, and select the Save to Disk option.

If it still isn't working, another thing to try is to open the .ics file that you downloaded in a text editor such as Notepad (Windows) or TextEdit (Mac). The .ics file is a regular text file, and you should be able to tell by how much text is in the file whether it's including just one event or the whole calendar.

If the .ics file includes the whole calendar, make sure that you follow the instructions Connie gave for importing the file into Outlook. In other words, don't use the Open command or double-click the file. Also, when I selected my file to import, I didn't get the option to decide what calendar to put the events on. The file imported directly to my main Outlook calendar. I'm not sure why, but I do know that she and I have different versions of Outlook. Either way, all of the events were included in the import.

If things just don't seem to work no matter what, you could email me the address of your calendar along with the .ics file that you created, and I can see what's going on. You can send this info to support at corp.trumba.com and put it to my attention. I hope that helps, and let me know what you find. Good luck!

Jill