Jason

spuds.js causes menu flicker in IE6

When I include the spuds.js in my file it causes the CSS menu to flicker in IE6. See http://www.rustedcode.com/dev/uwcc/ for example. Anyone encountered this before? I suspect it has something to do with the spuds.js adding onmouseover events to various elements of the page, but that's just a guess. Any help would be appreciated.

An update for those that might come across this. Turns out that this problem only occured with the upcomingfader spud. So for IE6 I just downgraded to the upcoming spud.

Hey Jason,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for this info! I haven't heard this one before, and we do have people using the fader (although not sure if they're using IE6). Could you do me a favor? Using IE6, could you go to this page on the Trumba University demo site, scroll to the fader, and see if you get the same behavior? Let me know, and I can forward all of this info to our QA people to see if they can find out anything more. The fader happens to be my favorite promo spud, so I'd like to clear up any bad press about it if I can. :)

Jill / Trumba Client Services

Hey Jason,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for this info! I haven't heard this one before, and we do have people using the fader (although not sure if they're using IE6). Could you do me a favor? Using IE6, could you go to this page on the Trumba University demo site, scroll to the fader, and see if you get the same behavior? Let me know, and I can forward all of this info to our QA people to see if they can find out anything more. The fader happens to be my favorite promo spud, so I'd like to clear up any bad press about it if I can. :(

Hi Jill,

Thanks for being willing to look into it.

I haven't had a chance to look at the page in IE6, but even in IE7 the menu in the page you sent flickers as you go from one menu item to the next. I can't tell which Spud is causing the issue without turning different ones off, but I'm guessing without the spuds it would no longer flicker.

Hi Jason,

I think I got it. When you hover over an event description in a promo spud that uses a popup spud to display the event details, there is a mini-refresh to display the popup. I actually get more of what you're referring to as a flicker when I do this in Firefox. It appears in the title of the active tab and on the Refresh and Stop buttons at the top. In IE7, at least for me, this refresh is barely noticeable and I don't see the flicker.

So with this in mind, another thing you can try is to turn off the popups.

1. Go to the Publishing Control Panel for the calendar you're using promo spuds for.

2. Click the Promotion Spuds tab.

3. For the promo spud you want to use, click Edit Settings & Styles.

4. On the Settings tab, in the Popup Settings section, for Popup details spud, select None.

5. Click OK, or Preview to check out the new settings. And then see if you get the same results when you put the spud in your site.

Let me know if that makes a difference.

Hi Jason,

I think I got it. When you hover over an event description in a promo spud that uses a popup spud to display the event details, there is a mini-refresh to display the popup. I actually get more of what you're referring to as a flicker when I do this in Firefox. It appears in the title of the active tab and on the Refresh and Stop buttons at the top. In IE7, at least for me, this refresh is barely noticeable and I don't see the flicker.

So with this in mind, another thing you can try is to turn off the popups.

1. Go to the Publishing Control Panel for the calendar you're using promo spuds for.

2. Click the Promotion Spuds tab.

3. For the promo spud you want to use, click Edit Settings & Styles.

4. On the Settings tab, in the Popup Settings section, for Popup details spud, select None.

5. Click OK, or Preview to check out the new settings. And then see if you get the same results when you put the spud in your site.

Let me know if that makes a difference.

I actually don't have access to the Trumba server because I'm just the UI developer. Can you send an example of what the Javascript would be?

I tested your example University page in Firefox and didn't experience any problems. However, in both IE6 and IE7 I experience the problem. To reproduce:

1. Open up your university test page.

2. Put your mouse over one of the main links so the popup menu is showing.

3. Move up and down the popup menu and you will see it flicker as you move up and down

Are you able to reproduce this?