Jean Renaud

Mix-in calendars that others have shared with us

Why is it not possible for me to mix-in (for publish) a shared calendar with "read only" rights?

I want to mix-in (for publish on the web) calendars done by others, with a calendar I created (NOT with the primary calendar, but even that doesn't work either). It looks like those shared calendars have to be shared with full rights.

The idea here is to integrate calendars done by others into ONE SINGLE calendar, leaving the right for modifications to those other people. Right now, it seems like one must have full rights on those shared calendars to publish them. OK: that one person must be careful in doing NO modification to those shared calendars, but this kind of "scares" those who are sharing their calendars with full rights (instead of "read only" rights).

By the way, this is a great internet application, a killer in my opinion, with a lot of flexibilities and possibilities. Those who wrote this webcalendaring program had their mind well set: a great design!

Hi Jean Renaud,

Thank you for comments about Trumba OneCalendar. We do appreciate that inspite of the limitations of not having all the international date support that you may ideally prefer that you have done some amazing work already.

What I have done when I have worked with folks who need to publish a dozen or more calendars but wish to have different people do the data entry is to have a "master" or "admin" account in which they set up the calendars and publish. And to use this "master" account to share calendars with edit rights with others so others can do the actual data entry.

It sounds like your scenario is a bit different. I will do some thinking and testing to understand it better and might come back with a question or two.

Thanks again for your using Trumba OneCalendar and for participating on our forum.

Regards,

Anne / Trumba Support

I think we're talking of the same thing: to have a MASTER calendar that is the result of MIX-IN with other calendars.

Now, what YOU suggest is that I create those sub-calendars and share them with others with edit rights.

What I suggest is that OTHERS create their calendars and share them with me with "read-only" rights. Do you follow me?

I may be tempted, as the person responsible for the master calendar, to require rights to those shared calendars that belongs to others and that I want to mix-in, but WHY could I not MIX-IN FOR PUBLISH purpose a shared calendar with "read-only" rights?

This possibility gives responsabilities to the others: if activities are NOT there in the main calendar, it's THEIR problem, not mine :-)

But still, after thinking twice to this idea, I'm becoming more convinced that it would be better for me to create those MIX-IN calendars myself AND share them with edit rights to others ... yap, this is better. Good sharing on this one.

Isn't writing in Proverbs 15:22 Without counsel, plans go awry, But in the multitude of counselors they are established. -- Jean.

Hi Jean Renaud,

Thank you for comments about Trumba OneCalendar. We do appreciate that inspite of the limitations of not having all the international date support that you may ideally prefer that you have done some amazing work already.

What I have done when I have worked with folks who need to publish a dozen or more calendars but wish to have different people do the data entry is to have a "master" or "admin" account in which they set up the calendars and publish. And to use this "master" account to share calendars with edit rights with others so others can do the actual data entry.

It sounds like your scenario is a bit different. I will do some thinking and testing to understand it better and might come back with a question or two.

Thanks again for your using Trumba OneCalendar and for participating on our forum.

Regards,

Anne / Trumba Support

Hi Jean,

Thanks for explaining your thoughts on this. It was helpful to me.

Right now, we have two choices for sharing one that is read-only and the other allows editing. We've had a lot of people ask about sharing but showing only free-busy times, and not showing the actual event information. At this time, publishing involves needing the right to edit some of the calendar setting information, so it seems fitting that it would be something that would be an option available only to those who have edit rights to the shared calendar.

This could change in the future as we understand preferred workflows of our subscribers, but at this time, to publish you need edit rights to a calendar.

In a recent example, mostly to manage staff transitions, and not have to worry about which account actually owns a particular calendar, we recommended having an admin account that is used just for calendar creation, publishing and sharing and not for actual data entry. Once things are set up, specific individuals were given access to certain calendars. They are owners in every way, because the admin account is a passive participant on a regular basis. The admin account is used to change the format of what is published, or if there's a staff transition to change who has edit rights to a particular calendar. However, I do understand and relate to where you were coming from. It would be nice to be able to specify on a more granular level what rights are being given (read, read for free/busy only, edit, publish etc.).

Thanks for the discussion and for your perspective.

Regards,

Anne / Trumba Support

Good!

Is it possible to TRANSFER CALENDARS FROM ONE ACCOUNT TO THE OTHER?

Regarding your suggestion of "(we recommended) having an admin account that is used just for calendar creation, publishing and sharing and not for actual data entry", I came exactly to that conclusion, but since I've done it the opposite way, I'm stuck with all my created calendars in the wrong account (actually in my personal E-Mail account instead of my office E-Mail account).

There's a lot of data already entered 'til December 2006 (it took me a good 10-15 hours). -- Jean.

Hi Jean,

Thanks for explaining your thoughts on this. It was helpful to me.

Right now, we have two choices for sharing one that is read-only and the other allows editing. We've had a lot of people ask about sharing but showing only free-busy times, and not showing the actual event information. At this time, publishing involves needing the right to edit some of the calendar setting information, so it seems fitting that it would be something that would be an option available only to those who have edit rights to the shared calendar.

This could change in the future as we understand preferred workflows of our subscribers, but at this time, to publish you need edit rights to a calendar.

In a recent example, mostly to manage staff transitions, and not have to worry about which account actually owns a particular calendar, we recommended having an admin account that is used just for calendar creation, publishing and sharing and not for actual data entry. Once things are set up, specific individuals were given access to certain calendars. They are owners in every way, because the admin account is a passive participant on a regular basis. The admin account is used to change the format of what is published, or if there's a staff transition to change who has edit rights to a particular calendar.  However, I do understand and relate to where you were coming from. It would be nice to be able to specify on a more granular level what rights are being given (read, read for free/busy only, edit, publish etc.).

Thanks for the discussion and for your perspective.

Regards,

Anne / Trumba Support

Hi Jean,

It isn't possible to transfer calendars from one account to another. But, it is possible to change the email address associated with an account.

It sounds like you have a home account and a work account. Do both accounts have real data in them? Is simply canceling your work account (assuming it is empty, of course, and it is a free trial account rather than one you have paid for), and changing the email address on your current account with all your calendars a workable solution for you?

If you have just a few calendars with information that you need to move out of your main account with the published calendars, then exporting and importing may be a reasonable solution. The .ICS format is better if you have recurring appointments, by the way.

Please let us know if you are set just with this information. If anything's confusing, if possible, it would be good to sort out prior to making changes so as to minimize the impact on published calendars.

Regards,

Anne / Trumba Support

I can imagine a situation where I would want to publish a calendar with a mix in of a calendar that I do not own or control.

If I am publishing a family calendar, and would like to include holidays. I am subscribed to the holiday calendar, but it is not included as a mix in option when I publish a calendar I have created.

OK Anne. I've made my homework !

[Text containing email addresses removed by Jill].

The idea here is to transfer those already designed (and used) calendars into the proper ([deleted], my work) account, leaving my home account ([deleted]) for personal use and sharing testing.

Unfortunately, I already paid for both account, so I don't know how you will handle this. I kept shared links with another person account, but if you need to cut those links in order to make this miracle happen, it's Ok for me: I will recreate them afterward.

Waiting for your reply. Thank you for this option.

Hi Jean,

It isn't possible to transfer calendars from one account to another. But, it is possible to change the email address associated with an account.

It sounds like you have a home account and a work account. Do both accounts have real data in them? Is simply canceling your work account (assuming it is empty, of course, and it is a free trial account rather than one you have paid for), and changing the email address on your current account with all your calendars a workable solution for you?

If you have just a few calendars with information that you need to move out of your main account with the published calendars, then exporting and importing may be a reasonable solution. The .ICS format is better if you have recurring appointments, by the way.

Please let us know if you are set just with this information. If anything's confusing, if possible, it would be good to sort out prior to making changes so as to minimize the impact on published calendars.

Regards,

Anne / Trumba Support