Sign in to follow this  
Singular

submission date

Hello all,

Is there a way to edit the submission form date field so that the date could be entered as either a start/end (which is the current method), or a deadline? I will give a an example to help illustrate.

Many art competitions that I list have submission deadlines and the show dates. The deadline could be October 31st and the show dates would be November 15th - December 15th. So when someone submits this event using the trumba form we have on our site, they enter the start and end dates for the show rather than the deadline, because there is no where to put the deadline date. I then go in and change it to the deadline date for the start and end date. It would be much less confusing to the submitter if we could use a date picker that had a editable subject like "deadline" and use that instead of the start/end date picker for certain spuds.

Also, not all listings last up until their dates. Some of my listers only pay for a listing through November when their event takes place in December. Is there way for us fix the fact that the dates of the event control how long they remain listed? There should be a separate behind the signs date field that allowed us to control how long the event stays listed.

thanks,

Joe

Joe,

I was just updating this post as we just released a new update last night so we now have the ability to set an event to have a publish start and end date. This may help you out. What you will need to do is edit your event types and select "Publish end date" and "Publish start date" from the Predefined Fields section and add these to your event type(s). The event would then go live on midnight of the start date and be removed at midnight at the end of the event. We do not have a "start time" or "end time".

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks Steve,

That does address one issue. So does the event stay published until the publish end date, regardless of the event start/end time? Also, if you leave one of the publish date fields blank, will it start and end using the dates from the event start/end date fields?

To the next topic: Can a date field be added to the submission form that would allow users to enter just a deadline, rather than a start and end date?

thanks,

Joe

Hi Steve,

I just tested it and it doesn't seem to work. The event start date is April 18, 2009. However, I added the publish start date to be December 18, 2008 and publish end date to April 19, 2009 so that it runs for 4 months. So it shouldn't get published until December 18th, but it is already being shown.

Any ideas what is wrong?

thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe,

Sorry about that as there is one additional setting you need to make! Once you have set up your event types to include these predefined fields, you will want to check your published settings. Go to Publish>Publish Settings tab and then select Edit Publish Settings. On this page locate the Publish Settings section and you will see the option to "Honor publish start/end dates". Go ahead and set this to Yes and then click OK.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Joe,

In a way this should almost be treated as two events where the submission deadline is one event and the exhibition is another date. The only other solution I can suggest at this time to assist with the Submission Deadline would be for you to create a custom field, and set this custom field to be visible on the event submission form (and possibly a hidden field so it is not published) and then make that field part of a custom event type. The submitter would still have to enter in a value for the Submission Deadline custom field and the Start/End Dates could be reserved for the actual exhibit dates/times. Once the event is submitted and you approve the event you would then have to edit the Start/End Dates to reflect the Submission Deadline information that was provided. You could also enter in the submission deadline information within the event title (not ideal I know) or enter it within the Notes field.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Joe,

In a way this should almost be treated as two events where the submission deadline is one event and the exhibition is another date. The only other solution I can suggest at this time to assist with the Submission Deadline would be for you to create a custom field, and set this custom field to be visible on the event submission form (and possibly a hidden field so it is not published) and then make that field part of a custom event type. The submitter would still have to enter in a value for the Submission Deadline custom field and the Start/End Dates could be reserved for the actual exhibit dates/times. Once the event is submitted and you approve the event you would then have to edit the Start/End Dates to reflect the Submission Deadline information that was provided. You could also enter in the submission deadline information within the event title (not ideal I know) or enter it within the Notes field.

Thanks,

Steve

That is a pretty good idea. Can a custom field be date formatted? I could always have it as text and then manually change it as you mentioned.

On another note. I implemented the publish date fields and that feature works great.

all the best,

Joe

Joe,

Glad to hear the Publish Start/End Date feature is working out for you! When setting up the Custom Field we do not have the option for a date format, however what you could do is set the field type to either single line of text or multiple lines of text. For the default value, enter in sample text showing the preferred format, for example: mm/dd/yy;mm/dd/yyyy; dd/mm/yy, etc.

Thanks,

Steve

Joe,

Glad to hear the Publish Start/End Date feature is working out for you! When setting up the Custom Field we do not have the option for a date format, however what you could do is set the field type to either single line of text or multiple lines of text. For the default value, enter in sample text showing the preferred format, for example: mm/dd/yy;mm/dd/yyyy; dd/mm/yy, etc.

Thanks,

Steve

Another great idea Steve. I did as you recommended and it works well. The only issue is that if I use a default text such as mm/dd/yyyy and they do not enter in there value, the form still submits because there is a value in the field. So I decided to not have a default value. That way, they have to enter something in.