Sign in to follow this  
Ron

Publish rights

If I understand posts regarding this subject, shared calendars that are read only can not be published by the other (read only) person.

If this is true, my vote is to keep it this way. I am making a calendar for several people to assign work loads. It is confidential information. I have advised them to create (on their calendar account) a personal calendar and a work calendar. Share the work calendar with my master. Link their events into their personal calendar. Unavaiable days, link back to their work calendar.

So far test results give me: their unavaiable days in my master. They have a personal calendar that shows their work load and have only one calendar to keep track of; their personal one.

Now the big question. If they publish the personal calendar the work items from my master will not show up?

Next big question. If they share their personal calendar with another party or e-mail their personal calender or share the work (duplicate of my master) will it show up?

Explanation in order: The reason for the work calendar in their account is to see all the team and total work load.

Hi Ron,

Thanks for voicing your views on whether people who don't have editing access should be able to publish or email the calendar.

I'm not 100% sure I understand your setup, but, technically, it is still possible for your colleagues to publish the work events. Just to confirm, let me run down my understanding of your workflow:

• You enter the work load/confidential events into a master calendar that you share out to your colleagues with read-only access.

• They each have a work calendar that they share with you and a personal calendar.

• On their work calendars, they enter only their unavailable days?

First, whether I understand the workflow correctly or not, if you share a calendar as read-only, the sharees can still select individual events to add to their calendars. If they do that, those events are included when they distribute the calendar somehow (i.e., publish/share/email).

I can't think of a way to completely prevent people you share a calendar with from being able distribute its events if they really wanted to. But you could make the confidential events easier to keep separate from the personal events, so that your colleagues are less likely to inadvertently distribute them. Your colleagues could have two calendars to keep track of: a personal one (that they can distribute or not) and one that has the work events (that they do not distribute). When they want to add their work load events from your shared calendar, they'd add them to their own work calendar. Then they can mix the work calendar into their personal calendar to integrate all events. If they distribute their personal calendar, the work calendar isn't included (though, technically, they could also mix it into a published or emailed calendar). Would keeping the confidential info on a separate calendar work ok for your situation?

If I'm not understanding your situation correctly, please let me know.

Jill / Trumba UA