I'm new, and a bit confused. I have set up a calendar for a religious institution. The idea is for the head of each function to handle their own entries: the brotherhood president will enter brotherhood events, the clergy will enter religious services, the religious school director will enter school activities, etc. I've set up sub-calendars for each of these. When I try to give them access, though, I can only see the option that allows me to share the calendar if they are registered (that is, PAYING) users. This absolutely defeats the idea of having a calendar for the religious institution through a service like Trumba! Am I missing something?

Thanks...

Hi Shel,

Welcome to the Trumba Support Forum.

Using one Trumba account to set up all the published calendars for your church is what we'd recommend. (This account would serve as an admin account.)

If one person is going to be entering in the data just one account would suffice. If a second person is going to be the back up, when the primary person is out of the office, still one account would suffice. If more than one person is going to be editing the appointments in Trumba OneCalendar simultaneously we do recommend getting more Trumba accounts. At this time, we do not have a free offering, and accounts cost $39.95/year subscription.

There is a way to use CalendarSync (our tool to sync with Outlook) as another way to edit calendar data. If you are looking for a way to accomplish what you are looking to do with the fewest number of Trumba accounts, this might be an option to explore

I know of two business partners who keep their published business calendars in Trumba who have established a protocol for when one or the other will be using their account for editing. I am not sure whether they've decided on days or an a.m./p.m. type of arrangement.

Sorry that your expectation was that one copy of Trumba would give you a way to have multiple editors with limited rights/log in. That isn't a part of our current offering. I hope the trial period helps you with evaluating our offering. If you happen to know of other churches who are using Trumba OneCalendar, you could ask them how they handle this issue, as well.

Thanks for trying out Trumba OneCalendar.

Best wishes,

Anne / Trumba Support

After having already bought Trumba for my organization, I'm just now finding out that although customers are lead to believe that you can have multiple editors for a single organization's account, that each additional editor has to have a paid account. This impression is given by the Pricing page (http://www.trumba.com/corp/pricing.aspx) which specifically states:

"Calendar Sharing

Set up a calendar maintenance process that works for you. Allow multiple editors to securely add or update events on published calendars."

Nowhere does it say on that page that each "Editor" must also have a paying account. This is very misleading :o and Trumba needs to address this up front BEFORE people buy the product. I'm not used to having to read the fine print when paying for software, and Trumba is currently using very fine print to let customers know that purchasing one "calendar" doesn't mean you get to have "multiple editors", but in fact you must buy multiple accounts for your users.

Alicia

Berkeley Public Library

Hi Shel,

Welcome to the Trumba Support Forum.

Using one Trumba account to set up all the published calendars for your church is what we'd recommend. (This account would serve as an admin account.)

If one person is going to be entering in the data just one account would suffice. If a second person is going to be the back up, when the primary person is out of the office, still one account would suffice. If more than one person is going to be editing the appointments in Trumba OneCalendar simultaneously we do recommend getting more Trumba accounts. At this time, we do not have a free offering, and accounts cost $39.95/year subscription.

There is a way to use CalendarSync (our tool to sync with Outlook) as another way to edit calendar data. If you are looking for a way to accomplish what you are looking to do with the fewest number of Trumba accounts, this might be an option to explore

I know of two business partners who keep their published business calendars in Trumba who have established a protocol for when one or the other will be using their account for editing. I am not sure whether they've decided on days or an a.m./p.m. type of arrangement.

Sorry that your expectation was that one copy of Trumba would give you a way to have multiple editors with limited rights/log in. That isn't a part of our current offering. I hope the trial period helps you with evaluating our offering. If you happen to know of other churches who are using Trumba OneCalendar, you could ask them how they handle this issue, as well.

Thanks for trying out Trumba OneCalendar.

Best wishes,

Anne / Trumba Support

Hi Alicia,

I'm sorry that our sharing page gave you the wrong impression, and you are right that the text is misleading. As you discovered the hard way, to use the sharing feature, the sharees have to have their own Trumba accounts. By no means are we intending to mislead anyone through copy on our website, and I'll make sure that the sharing info is made clearer. Thank you for letting us know about your experience. The sharing page itself also could use some clarification.

Back to your Trumba account, you *can* actually have multiple editors on the same account. The limitations are that you all need to share the same sign-in and password, you shouldn't have more than one person signed in at the same time, and everyone who is an editor has full access to the account (whereas when sharing a calendar with editing permission, the sharee has access only to the calendar that's shared). Anyway, if that works for your organization, you can feel free to use the product that way.

I am going to send you a PM with some more questions, so please check your Inbox here on the forums soon. Again, I'm so sorry that you were mislead by our web site, and know that we are working to clarify the text as soon as possible.

Jill / Trumba User Assistance

After having already bought Trumba for my organization, I'm just now finding out that although customers are lead to believe that you can have multiple editors [snip]

"Calendar Sharing

Set up a calendar maintenance process that works for you. Allow multiple editors to securely add or update events on published calendars."[snip]... doesn't mean you get to have "multiple editors", but in fact you must buy multiple accounts for your users.

Alicia

Berkeley Public Library

Here here!

Jill, this is a big deal. I just convinced my client to upgrade on the strength of the statement Alicia quoted above. They have about a dozen committees whose chairs were to take responsibility for managing their own calendar dates. Education committee chair was going to take responsibility for their subcalendar. Now I need, what, 12 - 15 accounts to protect the main calender from a sub-calendar editor deleting someone else's meetings? That's not what was expected at all.

All I think either of us are looking for limited access to specific sub-calendars by named users with passwords. They are not multiple editors if they are restricted to pretending to be a single user with a singel user account...at least not in any Web 2.0 sense I'm aware of. That's like saying your blog can have as many authors and editors as you want...as long as they all share your administrative password. (Well, duh!, but that's not really multi-user is it?)

This is a website for God's sake. It takes minutes to correct text that is misleading or poorly written. Why has this statement remained there for so long if it's so misleading? I reviewed that page with my client about a month ago -- highlighting the advantages of having a service with multiple user access levels. Are you actively recommending Google's calendar for this solution? You've got a great product here, so there's no excuse for needing the kind of bait and switch that text creates.

The good news is, it is clearly a desirable feature... how soon can we expect it to be put into a beta release?

I had thought that I had this feature confirmed when I exchanged some e-mail with Tom Leung, but in reviewing my emails I guess I was mistaken.

Here's (in my mind) why this limitation makes no sense.

1. If my account enables me to make multiple integrated and non-integrated calendars (primary and sub calendars) then one account enables any of my "multiple users" to make their own totally unrelated calendars (if they desire) -- why should they need separate accounts?

2. Let's see, in reviewing scriptsearch.com, even the most complex calendar systems that DO offer true multiple users only cost about $50.

3. Something like eloops.com which offers calendars, data storage, etc breaks out at $2.50 per user per month or less.

4. Significant competition exists : http://www.listible.com/list/best-online-calendars, ummm Kiko in particular looks close in feature sets, huntcal.com is similar.

5. So, aside from losing the advertising in the spud, exactly what are the benefits of paying for pro edition?

If we set up the basic accounts (free) with each committee can we incorporate their calendars?

I really need a solution to this, not 'sorry' -- so let's find / hack / build a solution. Whaddya say?

Steve

Edited by SteveM

This area has not been addressed even with the new pricing (10x increase) for, hmmm, I guess I missed the significant new features. Ooooh, no wait, for the new price I can control the background color of Mouseover hover display :blink: .

Never mind, it's all moot.

Anyone using the Knowledge base articles to suggest alternatives will find that since the price has skyrocketed the ability of support offer other than "sorry" and "no, duh" suggestions ("search for 'web calendars'" :) ) has apparently plummeted.

As I've said elsewhere, this is what happens when you get ready to do an IPO and you let your investment bankers determine your product strategy. For you Trumba employees: make sure your shares get registered with the Investment Bankers and the Venture Capitalists -- don't get stuck with 144 shares. Somebody check my facts but I recall somewhere that the highest stockprice internet companies ever acheive for about 80% of IPOs is within 30 days of the IPO, and most of those it's within the first week. :) Good luck trumbites, may your Schwab accounts be nimble and your resumes shine brightly.

Hi Steve,

I appreciate your comments (in your first message), particularly your examples and references to other products that I can take a look at. I want to clarify one thing, though:

>>Why has this statement remained there for so long if it's so misleading?<<

Alicia was the first to alert us to the fact that it was misleading, and we clarified the statement on our site on that same day. It might've been a few days after that that it went live with our weekly release.

Back to the rest of it, this is really a bigger discussion than what I would be able to have with you on the forums. Your comments have already been forwarded to marketing, so that's probably the best that can happen in the immediate term.

If you want, you can contact our sales people to talk with them about what you are looking to do. However, I know that they will not be able to give you a better deal than $9.95/month per account, if you fall into that pricing eligibility.

Jill / Trumba UA