Sign in to follow this  
Guest gwilliams

What problems arise out of having one account and multiple editors

Guest gwilliams

We are considering using Trumba for a school calendar and would like numerous calenders to be displayed. We also would like different people to update each calendar. E.g. someone on the volleyball team will be given the login and password and can update the volleyball schedules. Similar calendars would be used for basketball, football, band, choir, etc. I understant that if you share the login and password across a large group you do not know who is making the changes and you are more subject to someone getting on and posting inappropriate information or tampering with the schedules.

1. I understand that you could have one school account and share only specific sub calenders with specific people. This would require them to be members of Trumba on their own but would appear to solve this concern. Am I correct?

2. What other problems would exist with just one account and numerous editors that you might not have if you had separte accounts for each calendar? FYI We are not concerned about overlapping events etc as this calendar is used to REPORT what the school has decided to do and not used by the school to decide what to schedule and when.

Hi gwilliams,

I'll put my answers under your quoted questions.

1. I understand that you could have one school account and share only specific sub calenders with specific people. This would require them to be members of Trumba on their own but would appear to solve this concern. Am I correct?

Yes, this is exactly how it works.

2. What other problems would exist with just one account and numerous editors that you might not have if you had separte accounts for each calendar?

If one person at a time is signed in, you can have as many editors as you want. However, I have seen some strange display behavior when someone else was signed in as me on a different computer and I was signed in on mine. I didn't lose any data, but sometimes info I knew was on the calendar wouldn't display (it did display when the other person signed out). You can certainly try having multiple people signed in at the same time, but it's not something we support. In other words, if you got into a mess that was caused by multiple people being signed on, the solution would be to have just one person at a time sign in. :)

I hope this helps. Thanks for posting on the forums!

Jill / Trumba User Assistance

Guest gwilliams

If we set up with just one account for the school and have multiple layers of subcalenders, e.g.

Athletics

9ith grade

10th grade

11 grade

12 grade

Music

9ith grade

10th grade

11 grade

12 grade

General

9ith grade

10th grade

11 grade

12 grade

and we find out that there is a problem with mulitple users signing in at one time. Would it be difficult to change to 3 paid accounts without distrubing the underlying calendars. i.e. could we make athletics its own account with its own login et and do the same for music, general etc. all without disturbing the data already interred into those lower tier calendars.

In other words, is there any risk of trying just one account and converting to multiple accounts if you experience the problems you mention.

Thanks.

Hi there,

What we've recommended to others in your situation: Make a designated school account. Create all your calendars, sub calendars and publish from this account. Then share specific calendars out with certain other Trumba accounts.

We have a promotion for K-12 schools that will help you out initially. Even so, you probably want to figure out the minimum number of accounts you can get by with, using a comfortable workflow.

Schools have been one of the groups that have requested the "updates" feature in Trumba OneCalendar. Meaning they want to know if anyone else has updated any of the calendars. The more this is important to you, the more reason why you would get separate Trumba accounts for each group or person who might be modifying calendars.

You can start with fewer accounts and add more as you go along. You can do this even with just setting up multiple free trial accounts, so long as you make sure you create all your calendars using the designated main school account. (Reason: It's not possible to move a calendar from one account to another. You can export and import data, but if you have carefully set up events so they show on multiple calendars, this will be lost when you use export/import. Setting up your calendars in one account is important.)

Some other tips that we've passed on the schools:

1. Make a calendar for each level of granularity you need. (For example, an athetic dept set up a Basketball games with a second calendar - they choose to make it a sub calendar - with Basket ball practices.) Each calendar can be published mixed with with other calendars, but also separately. (In the basketball example, games were owned by the games calendar, but were set to also show on the practices calendar. The school then has the option to publish the Basketball practices calendar by itself for the basketball players.) Hope this makes sense.

addeventform.gif

2. It is easy to change a calendar to be the subcalendar of another calendar (using Calendar Settings) so don't worry too much about this initially. Making a calendar a subcalendar (or not) does not change what events are displayed on the specific calendar. Events have to be set to show also on other calendars when you add or edit events.

3. If you cancel events on a public calendar that parents or students are using, mark the event as canceled rather than delete the event. This will give those who use your calendars a better experience. And it also helps you to track canceled events internally.

Hope this helps with your decision making.

Best wishes,

Anne / Trumba Support

Guest gwilliams

Anne, You mentioned the k-12 promotion. I looked at it and it said it was for qualified teachers but I did not see what the qualifications are. Our school is a k-12 school with approx 1000 students. Would it be permissible for school administrators (who are not teachers) to avail themselves to this promotion. Also, our school is the sponsor and legal owner of several Boy Scout and Girl Scout troops, would the adult leaders of these school owned organizations be permitted to avail themselves of this promotion. Thanks.

Hi gwilliams,

The intent of the promotion is to help schools (teachers and adminstrators) produce K-12 school related calendars.

The promotion would not cover parents who run the PTA, for example.

I will check with our marketing folks and get back to you by email or via the board on the Scout question.

Anne / Trumba Support