Sign in to follow this  
Guest Chris

Download/Export a Calendar

Guest Chris

I'd like to be able to download (or export) a published calendar to my Palm software. Is it true that .ics is the only file format that may be downloaded from a published calendar?

Also, is it true that you can only download one month at a time? Thanks.

Hi Chris,

You can export calendars from your Trumba account into .ics or .csv files. You can also download .ics and .rss versions of a published calendar or one of your own in your account.

No, it's not true that you can export or download only a month at a time. Exporting will take the entire calendar. Downloading a .ics feed from a published calendar also shows all of the published events, and downloading .rss by default will show events starting from two weeks before the current day to the end of the published events.

Another option that many Palm users take is, if you use Outlook, to sync with Outlook and then sync Outlook to Palm. If you search our forum for +palm +sync, you'll get quite a few results.

I hope this helps.

Jill / Trumba User Assistance

Guest Chris

Hi Jill -

Thanks for the info. I know this is probably a question for Palm support instead of you, but do you happen to know if Palm desktop software can import .ics or .rss files? What exactly are .rss files used for, anyway?

I was glad to get your clarification about month-by-month downloads. The first time I tried to download, I got an error message that said "You haven't selected any events." So, of course, I hit "select all," but I wasn't sure if I was truly selecting all the events or only those that were the screen at the time.

So, is it fair to say that:

1. "Select All" will select all events contained in "mixed-in" calendars that have been checked (and only those events)?

2. the "download" button will download only those events that have been selected?

Thanks again.

- Chris

Hi Chris,

Oh, I think I see what you're doing now. I'm sorry, please disregard my previous post. It doesn't apply to what you're doing; rather to what you would do if you had a Trumba account that you signed in to and created calendars with and so on. I am now putting together your post info with your subject line, and it makes sense. I'm sorry I didn't get it earlier!

On a published calendar (which could look like a calendar or event listing on someone's Web site, with the download and other event action options), if there's just a month's worth of events on a page, and you select them to download, it is true that only that page's events, not the entire calendar, will get downloaded. So the answer to your questions #1 and 2 is yes. When you select all, only the events on that page get selected (including mix-ins), and only selected events will get downloaded.

Also, if you download from a published calendar, .ics files are your only choice. The .rss version isn't really a file you can download. It represents an information "feed" that you can subscribe to from an RSS reader. I don't know if I can really describe using RSS feeds concisely, but there's a ton of info on the Web about what RSS means and how it's used. Here's a site you can try for more info: http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/12/18/dive-into-xml.html.

(Note that I only glanced at the first part of this and don't mean to imply that it's an official site Trumba recommends. : ) You can also try checking out our Help on it at Create and subscribe to calendar RSS feeds.

I'm sorry I'm not 100% sure about what Palm Desktop can import. But I do know that many programs can import .ics. -- .ics stands for iCalendar and is standard calendar format.

I hope this helps more than my last post! Let me know if you want me to clarify anything.

Jill / Trumba UA