• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dan

Dan

• Trumba Community Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:01 PM

My setup is a dedicated secure server which a few hundred users access for records management. We need a collabrative calendar .... that can be edited by any user (or securities set internally for access to the link).

Would embedding allow full function edit capability?
Would the "publishing" that is required to embed require your server to have unrestricted access to our server?
Assuming there are limitations, is there a Trumba lease product for hosting on remote servers?

Thanks in advance

#2 Jill

Jill

• Trumba Community Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:44 PM

Hi Dan,
I'm sorry for the delay in response. I wanted to check with someone on one of your questions, and then I ended up being out of the office on Fri.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if Trumba would be the right thing in your situation. If you want everyone to have edit access, everyone would need his/her own account. Technically, you can have multiple people signing in to the same account, but with that many people, it would probably become bothersome pretty quickly. If more than one person is signed in at the same time, you get some strange display behavior.

Also, yes, to update your calendar properly and to be able to display it in the web site/page in which you embed it, you would have to be able to exchange info regularly between your site and users and the Trumba server.

Finally, currently, our licensing is single-user based. We have a subsequent-account discount if you purchase one Pro version, and we can have you talk to our marketing folks for custom options if you're interested in many accounts (20 or more). By hosting, do you mean that it would run off of one of your servers? If so, we currently don't offer that either. I would be happy to log this as a product request, though. But please correct me if I'm not understanding correctly.

I hope that helps, and I'm sorry I can't give you better news.

Jill / Trumba User Assistance

#3 Dan

Dan

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:05 AM

Thanks for the frank (and on target) assessment and feedback.
Because of the secure server environment, yes, I think we would need a product that would be hosted on that server. From what I have seen, this would be a great product to choose to do that. As for multiple concurrent users accessing for editing, we could control that (I think) with the links at our end ... but the open communications ... I'm sure it could be technically worked out, but due to certain proprietary, etc. restrictions on our end, we would never get over that hurdle.

I would be very interesting in the new product (self hosting ... leasing?). Unfortunately, my timeframe for getting "something" up and running is only a few weeks (4 at most). I suspect that is too tight to expect you to be able to support.

But let me know if/when that option is available.
Thanks again
Dan

#4 Dan

Dan

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:07 AM

On the other hand ...
I am also looking a just providing a link to the published calendar (published on your site / password protected) from our server. This is very workable. But, my thinking is to have the edit capability as if a single user ... all couple hundred potential users would have the same (single) log in info for editing.

(1) Is this allowed by your T&Cs? (save me the time of studying)
(2) I assume if a second logon was attempted while the first login was still editing, an error or "view-only" prompt would occur (?)

#5 Connie

Connie

• PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:35 AM

Hi Dan.

Our Terms of Use say that:
"Only one individual may access the Service at the same time using the same username and password."

This appears to be what you intend but at the moment there is no error message or notification if someone signs in using an email address/password with which another person is already signed in, and, as Jill mentioned, weird behavior can result if more than one person is making changes to the same calendar at the same time.

I think a large number of people using the same sign in is pretty unworkable right now.

Jill mentioned that when you purchase one full price account, you can get additional accounts at a reduced rate, and that bulk purchase rates can be worked out with Marketing. That type of approach might be the best thing to explore.

Connie / Trumba User Assistance

#6 Jill

Jill

• PipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:53 PM

Hi again, Dan,
Just jumping in to add a couple more things. I just talked to one of our developers about the hosting issue, and he thought it's not something we'll likely offer, in the near future anyway. But he reminded me that we now have the option for all calendar data exchange to travel through a secure channel. I don't know if that helps at all. There's some more info about this on the Secure & Reliable page on our website.

I see that there is a feature request logged for having some sort of notification when someone attempts to log in while someone else already is. I'll add to it and point to your comments.

Jill / Trumba UA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users