danicaart

Trouble with an embedded calendar

Hi-

I embedded a calendar into a temple's website. When you first go to the page it looks great! However, when you try to go to the next month or do anything that refreshes the page, this message appears above the page: "The date you picked was not a valid date. The calendar was set to today's date."

How can I avoid this message?

Here is the link: http://www.nessah.org/nessah/calendar/calendar.asp

thanks in advance for any help!

-danica

Hi danica,

Sorry you are having a problem. Thanks for posting a link to your calendar.

I just visited your site and viewed your embedded calendar using Internet Explorer 6.0 and Firefox 1.5.0.1. Your calendar seems to work as expected.

If you are still experiencing a problem, could you share more information including browser and browser version, and exact steps you take when you are viewing the calendar to experience the error.

Thanks,

Anne / Trumba Support

I tried it on a PC in XP with IE, I have tried it on a Mac with Safari. It looks fine until you click on one of the events. When the page reloads with the event info, at the top of the page, I still get the error "The date you picked was not a valid date. The calendar was set to today's date."

thanks

-danica

Edited by danicaart

Hi danica,

After Anne posted, we were able to see this error and talk with one of our developers about this. Have you used a different calendar product in the past and replaced what you had before with the Trumba calendar? How do your .asp pages get created?

Unfortunately the error message isn't actually coming from Trumba, so we aren't able to tell you exactly why it's happening. If you search on it, you'll see all kinds of different sites with calendars created in various different products getting the same error. It could be that whatever code is displaying the calendar is looking for the date parameters in a different format or something like that. But a couple of places to start tracking it down would be the two things I mentioned above.

I hope these two things point you in the right direction. If you can pass along any additional information to us, we'd appreciate it.

Jill / Trumba UA

Hi Jill-

No, there was no calendar from before. Unfortunately I have inherited the asp from the first developer. It had a "coming soon" message in that particular page in the past. I will be eventually re-designing the site and not building it in asp. Until then, we have what is up there. So you think it is because of the asp?

thanks for the info...

-danica

Hi danica,

After Anne posted, we were able to see this error and talk with one of our developers about this. Have you used a different calendar product in the past and replaced what you had before with the Trumba calendar? How do your .asp pages get created?

Unfortunately the error message isn't actually coming from Trumba, so we aren't able to tell you exactly why it's happening. If you search on it, you'll see all kinds of different sites with calendars created in various different products getting the same error. It could be that whatever code is displaying the calendar is looking for the date parameters in a different format or something like that. But a couple of places to start tracking it down would be the two things I mentioned above.

I hope these two things point you in the right direction. If you can pass along any additional information to us, we'd appreciate it.

Jill / Trumba UA

Hi danica,

>>So you think it is because of the asp?<<

I couldn't say with 100% certainty that it is, because I unfortunately don't know enough about .asp. The one example I know of, the Museum of Flight, uses .asp, but if you look at the URL, it does look like they configure this a little differently than the sites that were using .asp pages for calendars and getting that error. Also, I notice that our own What's New page, which contains an embedded calendar, is not showing an .asp extension, as the other pages on our corp. site do. I can ask the developer who did our What's New page to see if he has anything to add to this. I'll post an update here on Friday.

Jill / Trumba UA

Interesting puzzle... it looks like your existing page is reading the argument we added to the page:

trumbaEmbed=date%253D20060401%2526calendar%253Dnessah

At our end, we decode the argument, and turn it into this:

date=20060401&calendar=nessah

I'm guessing that your ASP page sees the word "date" in there and is trying to interpret the value.

I hope that helps.

/Clyde