Heath Racela

Color Printing Problem

I currently have a password protected published calendar with about six mixed-in calendars displayed. The data displays fine online, but when printed out, the colors don't all print right. Some of the color will print for an event, but the rest will be white. On the dates with white text (and a darker background color) this becomes a problem when visitors print the calendar and believe there is nothing scheduled that day. Browser is set to print background colors, and it prints some, but they don't all print right. I'm on Mac OSX using Safari as browser, but know the problem exists on our particular calendar with other OSs and browsers. Any ideas what I can do?

Hi Heath,

Do you know that other visitors to your calendar are having the same problem when they print the calendar on their printers? Just want to make sure that it happens on all color printers that have been tried so far. What kind of color printer are you using? Have you tried printing in B&W, and if so, do you get the same result?

I haven't seen this reported before, so I don't have a particular workaround to give yet. Would you be comfortable sending me the URL of your calendar and password via personal message or email? If you use email, send the info to support at corp.trumba.com. If you'd rather not send your working calendar, maybe you could create a test case that emulates your working calendars, and then send me the URL for your published test?

Until the problem is figured out, is it possible to temorarily change the colors of your calendars so that they all show black text?

I'm sorry I can't give you a better answer yet. Hopefully we'll figure out what's going on. I'll try a few things here, too, to see if I can get the same thing you are.

Jill / Trumba UA

Hi again, Heath,

I was just testing this out, and I was able to get the colors to print successfully from Safari (as well as on Windows) with a blue event color and white text.

One thing I noticed is that if your event text is white, when you open the print view (click the Print link in the upper-right of your calendar), the text is changed to black. So if you use the print view, you shouldn't have to change your event colors to at least get black text for printing. Or, when you open the print view, do you get a different experience?

Another thought that occurred to me: do you think it could be a printer memory issue? I.e., if it's running out of memory, it could be ditching the colors first?

Jill / Trumba UA

Hi Jill,

Thanks for your response. I'm using dark blue and red, which automatically generate white text. All other events have black text. When I go into print view, the text retains its colors (white and black). I'm in an office with an HP Color LaserJet (only a few months old), so I doubt it's a memory issue. I will have to try to print the calendar at home on my InkJet and see if the pattern is repeated.

At the office, we also have a black and white Laser printer, which produces a similar result. In this case, the background colors print two shades of grey (as though the text is highlighted) with white text. When I print in color, it does the same thing, only half is in color (red, blue, etc) and the rest is white, which shows as invisible.

I will send you the link to the calendar in a message. I wonder if it might have something to do with our network. In print view, everything looks fine, but when I print preview and/or print, I get the highlighted effect.

Thanks again.

-Heath

One other note...

In the above posting, when I'm printing, it's using print view from my admin pages (clicking the blue button). I just tried to print from the published version of the calendar (clicking the printer icon in the corner) and it generated a page with all black text and no background colors at all (browser is still set to print background colors). What's going on here?? Thanks.

Hi Heath,

Thanks for your additional info and calendar address. We're having a hard time pinning this one down. I was able to print your calendar form Safari to our color printer with expected results, from both the admin print view (blue Print button) and the published print view (printer icon in corner). Also, the preview in Firefox on Windows looks fine.

>>What's going on here??<<

The black text in particular is the behavior I was describing in my last post, where if you print from the published view, all of the text is turned black. But you should still see the colors. That's the way it's supposed to behave, so that's not part of the problem you're having (whether you like that it does that or not can be a separate issue). :)

If you see all black text and no colors in the preview from the print icon on the published view, I know what you said about background colors, but the description sounds terribly like the result you get when background colors are not set to print. If you haven't double-checked this a million times already, it's worth another look. Maybe someone else changed a setting since you did? I don't know how likely that is in your situation, but just a thought.

Did the test at home on your InkJet work any differently?

Jill / Trumba UA

Hi Jill-

Thanks for all your help in trying to get this resolved! I know this seems a little crazy...and it's sure been driving me nuts!

The calendar printed as it should have at home (Win. XP with Internet Explorer as browser and HP Ink Jet as printer). All colors are there and as they should be. Tried printing today from the published view at work...background colors were set to print and they appeared in print preview this time as they should. However, when I went to print, it was still erasing colors on the hard copy. Luckily, the text is in black now so dates aren't totally invisible, but it's still not printing background colors fully. It's also totally random in pattern. Most dates are one color as they should be, some have that highlighting effect (where there are two shades of one color), some are half-white and half color, and some have no background color at all!

It sounds like this probably isn't something on your end and more on my end (since it's working fine for you and for me at home). Perhaps it's time to consult the IT department?

Thanks.

-Heath

Hi Heath,

Thanks very much for your additional info. If you do have an IT dept., that does sound like the best next step. Hopefully we gave them a good head start with the things we've already tried. If you do find the source of the problem, we'd love to know about it if you'd be willing to share on the forums. Also, let me know if your IT people have other questions for us. It does sound like a tough one, and I don't blame you for being driven nuts from it! Good luck tracking it down.

Jill / Trumba UA