Opuntia

Can't see embedded calendar

Don't know on who's end (trumba's or mine) the problem lies, but I can't see any embedded calendars this morning, even when looking at the calendars on the "example" page. I didn't have this problem a few days ago. Neither IE or Firefox work. I turned off my firewall and antivirus but no luck.

Do you know of any other settings on my side that may be causing this problem that I need to change in order to view embedded calendars, though I haven't changed anything that I know of that might cause this.

Thanks!

Hi Opuntia,

Sorry you are not able to view embedded Trumba calendars on your system. : (

We have one other open investigation in progress on the same matter. So far we know the following:

• the issue appears to be computer specific (not browser or embedded calendar specific)
  • the problem is recent
  • at the bottom of the screen there's an error message that suggests that javascript was completed but that an error was encountered (the error: Unterminated String Constant).

We are still researching the matter. As we have more to share we'll post a response. In the mean time, aside from trying to access embedded Trumba calendars from another computer, I don't have a solution to offer. Of course, if you have any other details to add, it would be very much appreciated.

Thank again for letting us know. I hope we are able to get to the bottom of the matter soon.

Regards,

Anne / Trumba Support

Here's what I know and tried:

1. I don't see any scripting error message at the bottom of the page

2. I've unintalled, tried it without, and reinstalled Java (J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6)...still doesn't work

3. I've uninstalled any XP security updates since the last time it worked...nope

4. I've set my security setting to low for IE and Firefox...nope

5. It works on my wife's laptop. She's connected wirelessly to our network (so am I actually). She doesn't have the above java installed but she has jinitiator(?)

6. I can view published calendars

I would really like to figure out what's going on...especially that way if others that need to see my calendar and can't, I can hopefully tell them how to fix it.

Edited by Opuntia

Hi Opuntia,

Thank you for posting an update with what you have tried so far and letting us know that you are able to view your embedded calendar from your wife's laptop.

For anyone who cannot view the calendar, offering a link to your published calendar is a short term work around while we try to isolate/address the matter.

Regards,

Anne

Anne,

Thanks for the reply. I found this post about an anti-virus product causing display problems: http://forums.trumba.com/index.php?showtopic=252

I think I'll try messing around with my anti-virus (NOD32) later today to see if that may solve the problem. I don't know if I've changed a setting since I was last able to view calendars or a program update may have changed something.

Anne,

Thanks for the reply. I found this post about an anti-virus product causing display problems: http://forums.trumba.com/index.php?showtopic=252

I think I'll try messing around with my anti-virus (NOD32) later today to see if that may solve the problem. I don't know if I've changed a setting since I was last able to view calendars or a program update may have changed something.

Nope that didn't work either. Uninstalled the program, tried the webpages, still didn't work, reinstalled antivirus, and still didn't work.

This is kind of frustrating. I can't view the embedded calendar that I'm trying to embed (on the same machine at least).

Edited by Opuntia

Hi Opuntia,

Thanks for the updates. We had one more report yesterday evening, and in that case turning off Norton Anti-Virus entirely did allow embedded calendars to work. So, we are going to look into this a bit more to see if this is a related or separate matter (same symptom but same or different root cause). It does sounds like this is something you have tried already.

Also, we'd like you to see if you can view any of our other spuds, besides the main calendar spud. We just released them recently so I don't have a bunch of pages to send you to, to check out. But, I will post a link or two to try. We're especially interested to see if the Upcoming Events spud displays for you, since there's something slightly different about it.

Thank you again for reporting on your tests. We're making some progress and are looking for ways to re-create the issue.

Anne / Trumba Support

One more thing to add, I also tried turning off Microsoft Windows Defender...that didn't work either.

I've been trying to compare my wife's laptop vs. our desktop and one difference that I noticed is that my wife don't have the J2SE Runtime Environment installed on her laptop and she has Microsoft VM in IE, and the desktop doesn't have that (though that wouldn't explain why it doesn't work in Firefox either). I'm going to mess around with that later.

Thank you again, Opuntia. So far, we have had three confirmed reports of this issue so far. Of the three, two have been resolved by disabling Norton Anti-Virus. Norton Anti-Virus was not a new variable on their systems, so we are continuing to look into it what could have changed on our end that could possibly be triggering Norton Anti-Virus.

We'll post as we learn more. And hope you will, too.

Anne / Trumba Support

Thanks,

Looking forward to trying out the pages with the new spuds.

One update on my end, my wife's laptop is now suddenly not able to see the embedded pages either.

A small correction: The variable was Norton Internet Security, just in case that makes a difference.

Similar problems here. I left voicemail at Trumba today and also emailed my sales contact, but never enrolled in the online forum until now. Two problems here:

1) I updated both Internet Explorer and Norton Internet Security on this laptop yesterday. I thought it was an IE/Java problem, but it turns out Norton now blocks all forms of imbedded Trumba delivery - the full calendar as well as the new spuds. To confirm your find, turning off the Norton firewall does NOT eliminate the problem - Norton Internet Security must be completely disabled for imbedded Trumba feeds to appear.

2) The 7-day scrolling spud disappears and reappears seemingly at random. I have had this happen on three different computers today - two windows boxes and a Powerbook G4.

Thanks for the Norton tip because I never would have thought of turning Norton off completely.

Please email if you find a work-around.

EUREKA!!! figured it out and it's an interesting one. It turns out that as long as I'm signed into Trumba, I can't see the web pages. I thought that it might be cookie thing (and maybe it is), but even if I select the "remember me" option when signing in, as long as the browser is open, I can't see the webpages. But when I close the browser and go back to trumba (and I'm not signed in because I didn't check "remember me"), no problems, the example sites work.

So, what's going on...

I forgot to add that this is true for both Internet Explorer and Firefox.

Hi Opuntia,

Thanks for posting an update.

We tried to duplicate what you are experiencing on our systems here with a system that was running NIS(Norton Internet Security) and did not have much success. But so very glad to know that you were able to figure out a variable that contributes to our embedded spuds not displaying on your system. Also, for anyone running NIS, it seems that you can disable NIS for just a few minutes rather than disabling it entirely, and we hope this is a viable workaround for anyone affected while we figure out the root cause.

We are aware that if embedded calendar spuds use https rather than http, then there may be issues with display. However, to date we don't have an open customer issues on this one (just something we know from our internal testing). One bit of information that could be relevant is knowing if when you are signed in, if your Trumba Account is set up with the following setting ON in Account Setting:

Use secure protocol for: __All web pages

Thanks again for helping with investigating this issue.

Anne / Trumba Support

Anne,

Just want to clarify one thing about my situation, I am not running NIS. From your above post I wasn't sure you were aware of that. I thought that maybe my antivirus program was causing the problem, but it's not.

I do have that security setting ON. I turned it off and now I don't have that problem anymore. I can be logged into Trumba and I'm able to see embedded webpages. If I have it on, and I'm logged in (and I did the "remember me" option, I can't see embedded web pages. I have to log off to see them.

So, it's a combination of a cookie issue (since I assume that if I select the "remember me" option while logging in, Trumba places a cookie on my PC, and if I log off it remove it) and an account security setting. Just a reminder that if I log in without the "remember me" and even with the security setting on, I can see embedded webpages.

To me, this seems like a bug, I should be able to see mine and other folks embedded webpages if I have my security setting to ON, and, I've enabled Trumba to "remember me" while logging on. Is this going to be fixed, since I travel alot and would like to have that setting enabled?

Thanks

Edited by Opuntia

Hi Opuntia,

Thanks very much for your clarification on the issue. I can log it and see what the developers say. As I've told others, the spuds are in evolution, so dev will be taking a look at these kinds of behind-the-scenes issues and adding customizations on a fairly regular basis.

In the meantime, if you can see the spuds with the security setting turned on but the "remember me" box unchecked, I'd suggest doing that until the behavior changes. I'm sorry if it's somewhat inconvenient.

Anne or I will post here if anything changes. Thanks again for all of your help pinpointing the problem!

Jill / Trumba UA

Hi Opuntia,

Thanks for clarifying that NIS is not a variable on your installation. I hope the workaround that you have discovered will be sufficient for now. Our development team is aware of this issue, but we are not able to say when we will be addressing this quite yet.

For anyone else who has NIS (Norton Internet Security) and is reading along, we believe we have isolated the matter related to embedded Trumba spuds not displaying. We are working to fix and test an update. As we have more to share we'll post on this thread. Please check back later this week to see if there's an update.

Regards,

Anne / Trumba Support

Anne & Jill,

Thanks for the fast replies. Your prompt responses and acknowlegement are another reason why Trumba is a really great product. I look forward to see why this is happening and the fix your dev team comes up with.

Thanks!

I put the Marquee spud on the index page of two of my websites. They look beautiful and worked beatiful - from the machine I uploaded them to. However, other computers aren't able to open my index page and it locks up the browser forcing ctrl+alt+delete to get out of it. This didn't start occurring until the past few days. What could causing the problem? I love the marquee spuds and want to keep them...

VisitBristowOK.com

Hi Visit Bristow OK,

Welcome to the Trumba Support Forum. Just visited your site. And checked with both Internet Explorer and Firefox and I am able to view your site (with the crawler spud) ok.

We'll have to investigate what could be the issue with the the specific computers that are showing the problem. So far, we have not heard of an issue, but it sounds like you have more than one computer with this problem? Could you tell us a bit more about the browser you are using, and also what else you have on the various systems that could possibly be a commonality.

Thanks,

Anne / Trumba Support