Scrolling Event Listing taking users off my site

I love trumba, and have recently embedded both the calender and the scrolling event listing in my webpage. When you click an event off the scroller, it take users off of my page and onto my trumba event page. Than when a user clicks "back to x events" it takes them back to my trumba calender. How can this be changed?

I have frames on my site, so I wouldn't mind it, if when the user goes to trumba's site, it is opened in the main window and my navigation bar stays on the left hand side where users can still be on my site and interact with the other useful information they need to come to one of my events.

When an event opens up from the calender spud, users view the event on my site, why cant the scroller open up the same. Thanks in advance.

-Adam

www.slavetolustevents.com

Hi Adam,

Thanks for using Trumba and welcome to the forums. I'm afraid I have bad news in that I'm 99% sure that there isn't anything on your end that you can do to change these two aspects of the spud behavior. I like the idea of being able to open the event in the same frame. I'll ask our developers for confirmation and post an update if there is a way you can do either of these things yourself.

I'm sorry I can't give you better help with this. But the spuds are still evolving, so it's a good time to ask for changes. :)

Jill / Trumba UA

Hi again, Adam,

I've forwarded your requests to development, and though they think you're asking for features that would be nice to have, they're not available yet. I've logged them into our feature request database, and hopefully you'll see some evolution in the near future.

Jill / Trumba UA

Hi again, Adam,

I've forwarded your requests to development, and though they think you're asking for features that would be nice to have, they're not available yet. I've logged them into our feature request database, and hopefully you'll see some evolution in the near future.

Jill / Trumba UA

I must agree with Adam. The whole concept of both the embedded calendar and the imbedded spud is to keep viewers on the site. The "back to... " link on the event details should take the viewer back to the page with the embedded spud, not to Trumba. The current implementation is great for Trumba's business, but very poor for the client using the spud. My clients pay me to drive traffic to their site and keep it there, not send it elsewhere. The concept is fabulous, just needs a more realistic implementation. Not complaining, just being realistic.

Hi Campaign and Adam,

I think I missed a critical step in Adam's (originog) first post. You can change the destination page that users go to when they click an event in the crawler.

In the code for the crawler spud, the default destination is your calendar on the Trumba server.

In this variable:

var trumba_teaserBase = "http://www.trumba.com/calendars/yourcalendarname";

replace the default URL inside the quotations with the URL for your web page that contains your embedded calendar.

I'm sorry I didn't catch this from Adam's first post!

Jill / Trumba UA

Hi Campaign and Adam,

I think I missed a critical step in Adam's (originog) first post. You can change the destination page that users go to when they click an event in the crawler.

In the code for the crawler spud, the default destination is your calendar on the Trumba server.

In this variable:

var trumba_teaserBase = "http://www.trumba.com/calendars/yourcalendarname";

replace the default URL inside the quotations with the URL for your web page that contains your embedded calendar.

I'm sorry I didn't catch this from Adam's first post!

Jill / Trumba UA

When I follow the instructions and replace the trumba_teasterBase link as described above, the webpage that the spud is embedded in refuses to load and locks up the browser requiring ctrl+alt+delete to get free. What am I doing wrong?

Hi Bristow,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with this. I saw that your site was mentioned on our blog, so I got to experiment with your calendar. I was able to successfully embed a crawler spud into a web page that shows your calendar's events. When I click an event link, it jumps to your embedded calendar page. So the code should be correct if there isn't a typo somewhere. Does this freezing happen with all pages that have the crawler spud embedded into them? Or any spud that's not the main calendar? Or pages that have multiple spuds? Maybe there's something else on your page that's interfering? You might try starting with a clean page that has nothing but the crawler, and add things in one by one to see where it starts to freeze.

Also, in the code for the event crawler, even though the trumba_teaserBase variable needs to point to your site, the src= attribute in the script tag at the bottom still needs to point to the Trumba site, which it does by default.

Let me know what you find out.

Jill / Trumba User Assistance

Hi .. I changed the var trumba_teaserBase to the url where the calendar is embedded but now when I click on one of the dates with events .. it keeps taking me to the url i put.. doesn't take me to the trumba calendar page...

same happens with the spud for Upcoming Events from .... it keeps taking me to the url of my website .... when you press see all ..

thanks, Ale. :)

this is the website i'm working on VenezolanosEnLA

Saludos Kathecitas,

From what you describe, the behavior you see is what's supposed to happen when you change the trumba_teaserBase variable. The variable is set for the page, so whatever is defined there is going to be the destination for the calendar and any other spuds on that same page.

Thank you for posting your website address. I think I see part of the problem. The URL that you set for the teaserBase should be for a page that has your main calendar spud embedded in it. When I tried to click one of your events from the Upcoming spud, it just stayed on the same page, and I don't see that there's a main calendar spud embedded on that page. So embedding the main calendar or changing the teaserBase to point to the page that already contains your main calendar might resolve the issue you're seeing.

I hope that helps!

Jill / Trumba UA

I was having similar problems in WordPress with trying to get the spuds as provided to operate at all, let alone open a new window for the Trumba site (still can't get that to happen). Two elements to the solution for embedding operating spuds in WordPress style elements.

First, the spud code for the teaserbase, as delivered, has the var declaration enclosed in commenting brackets, so a simple cut and paste leaves the spud with NO DECLARED TEASERBASE...so links go no where. [Yeah yeah I know I should have caught that one] so get rid of the comment brackets.

Second, short of setting up a header declaration of 'base target="_new" ' I can't see how to direct the spud to open the link in a new window -- this of course would have the undesired effect of having to code every other internal link in the site with a defined target window. Definitely an undesirable solution. Establishing a fixed WordPress page with full calendar spud and then redirecting the TEASERBASE to that page's URL makes everything work elegantly (it all stays within the site as the good Lord and the Trumba programmers probably intended in the first place...I'm just thick.)

Edited by SteveM

Hi SteveM,

Thanks for posting your information about WordPress!

>>First, the spud code for the teaserbase, as delivered, has the var declaration enclosed in commenting brackets, so a simple cut and paste leaves the spud with NO DECLARED TEASERBASE...<<

Can I clarify this? Do you mean that at the end of the publishing wizard, you get something like this?:

var trumba_teaserBase = "[some comment text here]"; or like this?:

// var trumba_teaserBase...

The teaser base by default is supposed to be set to the URL of the standalone Trumba calendar, and it should work when you paste it as is. If you don't get that result, maybe we should look into it?

>>Establishing a fixed WordPress page with full calendar spud and then redirecting the TEASERBASE to that page's URL makes everything work elegantly<<

That makes sense. For what it's worth, we do have feature requests logged for opening spuds in new windows or particular frames, etc., and I can add your comments.

Jill / Trumba UA

B) I am still not certain whether it is possible to have a Date Finder spud on my home page and a Calendar spud

on another page of my site, for instance , www.mysite.com/calendar.asp

OR :

the two have to be on the same page

B) I am still not certain whether it is possible to have a Date Finder spud on my home page and a Calendar spud

on another page of my site, for instance , www.mysite.com/calendar.asp

OR :

the two have to be on the same page

Vaureal,

I just posted a new topic at http://forums.trumba.com/index.php?showtopic=878 to address this issue. I hope it answers all your questions.

-Troy

Guest duckster

I'm having trouble pasting the scrolling event code into my Wordpress page. Results: nothing.

I think this response might help me understand what's going on, but I can't even understand what I'm supposed to paste, delete, etc....

Help!

Hi SteveM,

Thanks for posting your information about WordPress!

>>First, the spud code for the teaserbase, as delivered, has the var declaration enclosed in commenting brackets, so a simple cut and paste leaves the spud with NO DECLARED TEASERBASE...<<

Can I clarify this? Do you mean that at the end of the publishing wizard, you get something like this?:

var trumba_teaserBase = "[some comment text here]"; or like this?:

// var trumba_teaserBase...

The teaser base by default is supposed to be set to the URL of the standalone Trumba calendar, and it should work when you paste it as is. If you don't get that result, maybe we should look into it?

>>Establishing a fixed WordPress page with full calendar spud and then redirecting the TEASERBASE to that page's URL makes everything work elegantly<<

That makes sense. For what it's worth, we do have feature requests logged for opening spuds in new windows or particular frames, etc., and I can add your comments.

Jill / Trumba UA

Hi duckster,

It would help if you could post a URL for your site so we can see what it looks like and the code behind the scenes. Meanwhile, here's a summary of how to embed the spud:

1. Open your web page so that you can edit it (I don't use WordPress, so I don't know specifically how you do this in that product).

2. Go to the publishing wizard in Trumba, click step 5, and you'll see the code for the spuds. Copy the code for the crawler.

3. Paste the code into your web page at the place you want it to appear.

4. In the spud code, for the line that says "var trumba_teaserBase" replace the URL that is in the code with the URL of the page where your main calendar is embedded.

If your main calendar isn't embedded in your site, or if you don't see a URL set, use the default one: http://www.trumba.com/calendars/your calendar name, replacing your calendar name with the web name of your calendar.

Here's some more info about embedding spuds and finding your calendar's web name:

Embed calendar spuds

Also you might want to check out the Spud FAQ. It doesn't have anything specific about WordPress yet, but it might answer some questions indirectly.

I hope this helps. If you're still having trouble, please let us know how to look at your web site so we can see if there's anything else in particular you need to do.

Jill / Trumba UA