ICS calendar subscription

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 carrollcdc

carrollcdc
  • Trumba Community Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:49 PM

As far as I can tell, it is not possible to subscribe to a published/shared .ics calendar (e.g., Google calendar) into my Trumba calendar. I like Trumba a lot, but the reason I subscribed to it was its embrace of open standards. I have exactly one public (Google) calendar that I need to subscribe to. If I can't do it, I will not stay with Trumba over the long term.

If this is possible, then you need to improve your help pages on the subject - I've just spent a couple of hours trying to figure it out and can't (and I'm a computer geek).

I realize you may be concerned about competition from Google calendar, and I understand that concern. But you can't get away with prohibiting people from mixing in calendars not generated by Trumba. And don't tell me that I can export from Google.

#2 Jill

Jill

• Trumba Community Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:07 PM

Hi carrollcdc,
Thanks for your message. Trumba is about making your events public on the web and integrating an "active" calendar into your website (where active = a calendar with events people can do things with, to increase the liklihood that they'll attend). Not really the same thing that Google calendar is about. We work together with personal calendar products such as Google, Hotmail, Yahoo, Outlook, iCal, Sunbird and so on. At the time the Google Calendar beta was officially released, we already had Event Actions available for it, which you can find documented in the Help files. Here's the topic on adding an event to a Google calendar.

Right now, from Trumba you can subscribe to calendars of products that allow you to publish to a specific location, the location of which is on our server. iCal is the only product that I know of that can do this. However, I'll gladly log your feature request for being able to subscribe to Google calendars.

Also, Google Calendar, Sunbird, and similar products that allow you to subscribe to .ics feeds can subscribe to Trumba calendars. You can see instructions for how to subscribe to a Trumba calendar from Google in a recent blog post:
Trumba and Google Calendar in action

Here is another blog post about our support for Google, just in case you're interested. Once you get there, you'll see others.
Trumba supports new Google Calendar

Edited to add: there's a good run-down of how Trumba and Google Calendar work together on our What's New page. Scroll down to last week's entry on April 14.

Not sure whether I answered the question. Let me know if I can clarify anything.

Jill / Trumba User Assistance

#3 carrollcdc

carrollcdc
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 07:45 AM

Thanks for your reply. But I don't buy it. I don't want to modify the info in the Google calendar (in fact, I can't modify it). I just want it to display along with my other Trumba events.

If you think about it, your response is basically "The only way to do this is to make the Google calendar the main thing you look at, importing your Trumba info into it." That can't be a wise policy from your point of view - eventually people will move everything to Google rather than having to deal with two calendars!

Surely a smarter policy would be to allow the display in Trumba of public .ics calendars.

#4 MassWrestling.com

MassWrestling.com

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 07:57 AM

I'm on board with carrollcdc on this one.

Take, for example, a calendar feed from a local news station website. In Google calendar, I can see this upcoming 5 day's weather as "events" as they happen. Since the ICS is dynamic and public, when the weather changes, the events change on my [Google] calendar.

To have this kind event data on a Trumba calendar would require manual re-synching (Download public ICS by hand and then import to Trumba) every time I want the most recent weather updates as events on my calendar...which isn't something I am willing to do.

Basically - by not having this kind of functionality, you're going against one of your own espousals of why customers would want to use Trumba: "Trumba offers [Web developers] flexibility and control for seamlessly integrating elegant and dynamic events calendars into clients' websites."

You're not seamlessly integrating elegant and dynamic events when you can't overlay existing dynamic public calendars into your own Trumba calendar. Yes, there is a double meaning here, and Spuds do achieve this espousal, but not in completeness that you're going to have to have to win over more customers...

So far your best selling point is being able to publish (beautiful) Trumba calendars on one's own websites. But one gets the data they want to publish on their websites from dynamic sources as well, they can't do that today with Trumba.

EDIT: I'd be willing to pay for this feature :D

Edited by MassWrestling.com, 10 May 2006 - 08:10 AM.

#5 MassWrestling.com

MassWrestling.com

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:12 AM

I've modified my above post several times now, sorry bout that.

#6 Jill

Jill

• PipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 11:20 AM

Hi guys,
Thanks very much for your thoughts on this, and Mike, thanks for the fitting examples. This one statement is a direct hit:

>>But one gets the data they want to publish on their websites from dynamic sources as well, they can't do that today with Trumba.<<

I'll add both of your additional comments to our existing feature request. I agree it would be great to be able to do this, but I'm sorry I can't offer more than that at the moment.

Jill / Trumba UA

#7 MassWrestling.com

MassWrestling.com

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 12:30 PM

Enhancement request works for me :D

• Guests

Posted 20 September 2006 - 04:18 PM

Hi guys,

I'll add both of your additional comments to our existing feature request. I agree it would be great to be able to do this, but I'm sorry I can't offer more than that at the moment.

Jill / Trumba UA

Has this issue been addressed? There are many dynamic sources (such as http://ical.mac.com/...32Holidays.ics) that I wish I could subscribe to. I can't even figure out how to subscribe to a public calendar on Trumba's site or how to search the calendars published on Trumba... I just signed up for the paid membership and I'm very very frustrated. In iCal (and WinDate- the developer of whom now works for Trumba!) all one needed to do was know the URL for a public calendar and type it into a "subscribe to claendar field" and just like that you could see the calendar and it was updated regularly without downloading any files etc... What I don't get is why I found a screenshot in the help pages that showed a heading under "My Calendars" that clearly said "Calendars You Subscribe To" but I can't find any instructions for how to subscribe to a calendar from within Trumba. (When I view a public calendar with an iCal link and click the link, iCal opens...)

I really don't want to regret migrating from iCal to Trumba... I've spent many hours on this already!

:unsure: :angry: :unsure:

#9 Jill

Jill

• PipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:53 AM

Hi stumusic,
I'm sorry that you've spent a lot of time, and that I might have some bad news for you. The "subscribe to ICS" feature is still in feature request status, and I don't know when or whether it will be implemented. I do know that if it will be, it's not likely to be any time this year.

In addition, the subscribe to Trumba feature was recently removed for new accounts, because, according to the rationale, it's considered a personal calendar feature, and Trumba isn't a personal calendar product. So, people who had the feature can still see the calendars they subscribed to before the change, but they can't subscribe to new ones. I'm sorry that not all of the Help reflects this change yet. The change is recent, and we're still trying to catch up. I'll check again, and if you can send me a URL for the topic that contained the screen shot that you saw, I would appreciate it.

All of that said, I am wondering if Trumba is the right product for you. Do you have events that you want to publish to the web? Are the ICS feeds you want to subscribe to for events that you want to incorporate into the calendar that you're publishing?

If you are not publishing events from Trumba and want to use Trumba for your personal or business scheduling, I'm afraid that iCal is a better choice than Trumba for that. Google and AirSet are also better, and I'd be happy to try to answer questions about how to get your data from Trumba into another product. You're still in the refund period, so if you close your account, you'll get the refund automatically. If you *are* publishing events we'd love to keep you and help you migrate over. Let me know what you think would be best or if I can answer any other questions to help you decide.

Jill / Trumba User Assistance

#10 Andrew Shuttleworth

Andrew Shuttleworth
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 04:39 PM

Was browsing the forums for something else and came accross this thread. Just thought it was worth mentioning that it looks like the issue of publishing an iCal feed to Trumba has been addressed: http://www.trumba.co...calpublish.html

Andrew

#11 Andrew Shuttleworth

Andrew Shuttleworth
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 05:04 PM

Sorry. False alarm. It looks like this was only publishing to Trumba using the Apple iCal program. One workaround may be to subscribe to an iCal feed using Apple iCal (or perhaps Mozilla Subird or Outlook 2007) and then publish to Trumba from there.

Was browsing the forums for something else and came accross this thread. Just thought it was worth mentioning that it looks like the issue of publishing an iCal feed to Trumba has been addressed: http://www.trumba.co...calpublish.html

Andrew

#12 Jill

Jill

• PipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:59 AM

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the suggestion -- I thought this would be a good workaround, too. But unfortunately, as I remember, if you subscribe to a feed in iCal, there isn't an option in iCal to turn around and publish the calendar somewhere else. I haven't tried it for a couple of months, but that's how it was then...

Jill / Trumba UA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users