Visit Bristow OK

Page w/Crawler Hangs on Load

I've noticed that sometimes from some computers the page with the crawler spud hangs and never loads the page. In viewing my webstats, I'm finding that some visitors never went beyond the index page and weren't there long. I'm fearful that they might be having the hang-up problem. In viewing their statistics, I see that they had javascript disabled - could that be a reason the page wouldn't load? Is there some special code that needs put in the page for people that have javascript disabled?

Also, my assistant has a thing about clearing her internet cache and cookies everyday (hmmm....maybe I should be in the office more....) and everytime she does that, the index page on our webpage will not load and hangs like it is trying to load the crawler but never gets it doen. However, I find that if I go directly to a calendar page first and then flip over to the index page - VOILA everything works. What could be the reason for that?

Puzzled but loving the Trumba calendars.

Hi Bristow OK,

If someone has javascript disabled, that would prevent the spud from displaying, but it shouldn't freeze their browser. However, if the calendar/spud doesn't display, it could look as if the page is frozen. So to try to keep them from leaving, you can add some code to your HTML page that inserts some text where the calendar would be for people who have scripting disabled. Here're the instructions from our Help topic on embedding spuds:

===

Security settings in some browsers may prevent the scripts from running or prompt viewers to allow blocked content. You might want to include a <noscript> tag in the <head> section of the pages you edit. Including this tag means people who can't run the script will at least see some text.

For example, the tag for the date finder might look something like this:

<noscript><a href="http://www.yoursite.com/calendar.html">Date'>http://www.yoursite.com/calendar.html">Date finder for our site calendar</a></noscript>

where http://www.yoursite.com/calendar.html is the URL for the page on your Web site where the embedded calendar appears.

===

You could also add some text there that says something like, "If you want to see our calendar events, enable scripting in your browser." Adding this tag will probably take care of your visitors.

About the other issue, when you say index page, is that the same as your home page on the Visit Bristow, OK site (not the Chamber of Commerce site)? Also, do you notice if the freezing you're experiencing happens always with the same browser (or do your stats collect the browser type of your visitors, so you could determine if there's a trend with the ones who are leaving)?

I'll do some testing and asking around here, too, and hope to come back tomorrow with more questions or info. I'm sorry for the delay!

Jill / Trumba UA

Hi Visit Bristow OK,

>>the index page on our webpage will not load and hangs like it is trying to load the crawler but never gets it doen. However, I find that if I go directly to a calendar page first and then flip over to the index page - VOILA everything works. <<

Just wanted to give you an update. I don't have a solution yet, but the good news is that I am able to see this behavior in Internet Explorer on my Windows computer at home. I can't reproduce it on Firefox in Windows or Safari on the Mac. I don't know for sure why this would happen, so I'll enlist some help tomorrow. If you find out anything in the meantime that you think might help (for example, if you see the freezing with Firefox), please let me know.

Jill / Trumba UA

Hi Bristow OK,

Good news: One of our developers found the source of the problem and fixed it. We released a new version with the fix earlier today. I hope this resolves the freezing issues you were having!

Jill / Trumba UA

Hi Bristow OK,

Good news: One of our developers found the source of the problem and fixed it. We released a new version with the fix earlier today. I hope this resolves the freezing issues you were having!

Jill / Trumba UA

Thanks Jill!

I'm going to put the crawler back on my VisitBristowOK.com website and see how it goes. Then I'll put it back on my BristowOK.org website. I really liked having it in place.

That's great, Bristow! Hope it works well. Let us know if you find anything else that doesn't seem right.

Jill / Trumba UA

That's great, Bristow! Hope it works well. Let us know if you find anything else that doesn't seem right.

Jill / Trumba UA

Greetings Jill!

Noticed this past week or so that when my index page loads, that the crawler is first displaying like the unedited code before it displays in the width and color that I edited it to display. Tonight at home on dial up, the page never finishes loading and the crawler never updates to show it with my customized width and color. Has anything changed about the code?

Still loving my Trumba calendars!

Cheers!

Hi Bristow. I just went to your website and, indeed, the crawler spud took a second or two to update to your custom colors etc.

I'll file a bug and see if we can quickly get this resolved. I'm not sure what changed to make this happen.

Connie

Connie,

I also noticed this with my crawler on www.lakotawestbands.org. When I first created the calendar in late June, the custom colors loaded immediately. Within a week or so, however, I noticed that the original colors appeared first, and sometimes never switched to my custom colors.

Connie,

I also noticed this with my crawler on www.lakotawestbands.org. When I first created the calendar in late June, the custom colors loaded immediately. Within a week or so, however, I noticed that the original colors appeared first, and sometimes never switched to my custom colors.

Gary,

You will see a fix for this in the next push.

-Troy

The new spuds DO make both crawlers on a page work but EVERY spud or link into a spud hangs on the first invocation. Killing then restarting IE and reloading the page allows THAT spud to load *reasonably* quickly but other spuds do not load and hang.

I have a macromedia flash loaded as well as the top and bottom crawler and whatever spud (my special events page has as many as 6 spuds if memory serves me right) has previously been partially loaded...

The new spuds DO make both crawlers on a page work but EVERY spud or link into a spud hangs on the first invocation. Killing then restarting IE and reloading the page allows THAT spud to load *reasonably* quickly but other spuds do not load and hang.

I have a macromedia flash loaded as well as the top and bottom crawler and whatever spud (my special events page has as many as 6 spuds if memory serves me right) has previously been partially loaded...

ATA Black Belt Academy,

I cannot repro this problem so I need your help. First do the following. Open IE, go to Tools->Internet Options, press the Delete Files button, check the Delete all offline content checkbox then press OK and a subsequent OK. Now close all instances of IE and use the Task Manager to verify this. Pressing Ctrl-Shift-Esc will bring up Task Manager. In the Processes tab you should see no instance of iexplore.exe in the list. Sort it alphabetically to verify this. Now use the HOSTS file trick to point www.trumba.com to our special IP address and restart IE. Now try and reproduce the lock-up again in IE.

If it still occurs then please let me know which version of IE you are using and the exact steps you are using to repro this. Everything from opening IE, what URL you used, what link you clicked on, etc. I'll need every last bit of info to repro the problem.

Thanks for testing, this all helps.

-Troy

I didn't use hosts, I hard-coded the IP address into my web page and published it.

I do not have time to do it again right now but I do have a domain that I can try it under and will post when I've done it. But, I'm a full time CTO 7am - 3pm and full time instructor 4pm-9pm so I mostly code on weekends...

MSIE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519

I didn't use hosts, I hard-coded the IP address into my web page and published it.

I do not have time to do it again right now but I do have a domain that I can try it under and will post when I've done it. But, I'm a full time CTO 7am - 3pm and full time instructor 4pm-9pm so I mostly code on weekends...

MSIE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519

Hard coding of the IP isn't supported as we round-robin through multiple domains. If you hard coded the IP then you were getting mixed spud types in your page which probably caused the problem. The hosts file handles the round-robin issue for you.

Please give the hosts trick a shot if you can.

-Troy