Jacob

Are embedded calendars search engine friendly?

I just embedded a test calendar into a web page. Everything looks good, but when I "view source code" all the calendar information is javascript, which is not good for search engines.

When you publish a calendar and set the published calendar to be searchable, even when you embed it into your site, a standalone version still exists on Trumba's server (www.trumba.com/calendars/yourcalendarname). That site gets indexed, so your events at least will get returned in search results. Search engines are not able to index/crawl javascript.

Hello Jacob,

I have a suggestion for you. If you have some blank space on your site that could fit some textual content, I recommend that you add some relevant content using a font color that is the same as the background color so that it will not be visible. If you need to add a lot of content in order to maximize Google's algorithms, use a very small font size.

hope this can help,

Joe

Yeah, that's a way to do it, but I still need a search engine-friendly calendar. Making it search engine friendly is the most holistic solution, rather than accommodating work-arounds that can be tedious to maintian over time.

That type of technique is also known as "cloaking" and can get you in trouble with SEO. Sites have been banned from search engines for doing that.

Thanks for the advice.

Hello Jacob,

I did some experimenting on my site. I added a set of adwords on my events page. When I preview it, there were no ads, only a public service announcement. Once I made it live the ads appeared. Another very important thing I noticed was when I tweaked the title of my page to include a better description, the ads were more appropriate to my page, regardless of my content changing. I think that as longs as you have a good title tag and a few descriptive navigational links on your page, you should be fine. I have no content other than navigation and title tag and google was able to supply relevant ads. 

best regards,

Joe