Jacob

are embedded calendars search engine friendly?

I just embedded a test calendar into a web page.

Everything looks good, but when I "view source code" all the calendar information is javascript, which is not good for search engines.

Any other solutions?

Thanks

Jacob

Hi again Jacob,

When you publish a calendar, even when you embed it into your site, a standalone version still exists on Trumba's server (www.trumba.com/calendars/yourcalendarname). That site gets indexed, so your events at least will get returned in search results. The drawback is that people will go to your standalone version rather than your web site. So even when you embed your calendar, it's good to put some basic info about your org, including your web URL, in the calendar header (the Description setting in step 2 of the publishing wizard).

Also, I was just double-checking this, but it appears that currently no Trumba events are indexed, at least not on the various calendars I tried. I've alerted development, and they're looking into it. If you try it right now, it might not work... I'm sorry about that.

Jill / Trumba UA

Hmmm, I really need to find a way to solve for this one. My site reles on the content to generate traffic, so without it, it would be hard to increase traffic.

I noticed there are RSS feeds for the calendars, this may be away around that, I'll look at that tonight.

Has anyone tried this?

Edited by Jacob

Thanks for your extra info, Jacob. I'll pass this along to our developers.

Jill / Trumba UA

Hmmm, I really need to find a way to solve for this one. My site reles on the content to generate traffic, so without it, it would be hard to increase traffic.

I noticed there are RSS feeds for the calendars, this may be away around that, I'll look at that tonight.

Has anyone tried this?

You could definitely parse/consume your own Trumba RSS feed into something search-engine friendly for your site.

yeah, that's what i was thinking, however, the RSS feeds dont actually have all the event details accounted for in the tag structure, so it wouldn't do everything.

Now that I think about it, since the RSS feed wouldn't do everything, I'll open up some communication with their development team about making the embedded calendars search friendly.

I'm even willing to pay for development work.

I operate an online event guide that is ad-supported (using AdSense), so if the embedded calendars aren't search friendly, then I'm hit with a double wammy.

1) The lack of additional indexed search-friendly content will prevent new organic traffic

2) Without the text about the event information, AdSense will not populate the best ads, it relies solely on content of the page to generate releveant ads.

I have AdSense ads above my published/integrated calendar and as far as I can tell it is displaying relevant ads to my users...in fact it has increased clicks a bit even, I think. That particular placement generates enough revenue to cover the Trumba subscription pretty well.

Edited by MassWrestling.com

Hello Jacob,

I have a suggestion for you. If you have some blank space on your site that could fit some textual content, I recommend that you add some relevant content using a font color that is the same as the background color so that it will not be visible. If you need to add a lot of content in order to maximize Google's algorithms, use a very small font size.

hope this can help,

Joe

Now that I think about it, since the RSS feed wouldn't do everything, I'll open up some communication with their development team about making the embedded calendars search friendly.

I'm even willing to pay for development work.

I operate an online event guide that is ad-supported (using AdSense), so if the embedded calendars aren't search friendly, then I'm hit with a double wammy.

1) The lack of additional indexed search-friendly content will prevent new organic traffic

2) Without the text about the event information, AdSense will not populate the best ads, it relies solely on content of the page to generate releveant ads.

Yeah, that's a way to do it, but I still need a search engine-friendly calendar. Making it search engine friendly is the most holistic solution, rather than accommodating work-arounds that can be tedious to maintian over time.

That type of technique is also known as "cloaking" and can get you in trouble with SEO. Sites have been banned from search engines for doing that.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi Jill, Connie

I sent a request to the email on the site to inquire about some development of the application to make it so the content is actually integrated onto my site and search engine friendly without using javascript.

I've not heard back, do you know when I might hear back? I'm looking for costs.

Thanks

Jacob

Hi Jacob. Do you mean you sent an email message via the Feedback link on the site?

You'll definitely hear back but that's a question that will require some research. One of us will get back to you soon.

Connie

Hello Jacob,

I did some experimenting on my site. I added a set of adwords on my events page. When I preview it, there were no ads, only a public service announcement. Once I made it live the ads appeared. Another very important thing I noticed was when I tweaked the title of my page to include a better description, the ads were more appropriate to my page, regardless of my content changing. I think that as longs as you have a good title tag and a few descriptive navigational links on your page, you should be fine. Here is mine if you want to see what I mean. I have no content other than navigation and title tag and google was able to supply relevant ads. http://www.asingularcreation.com/Lists/artcontests.htm

best regards,

Joe

Hi Singular

Good points. You would probably like the Forums of sitepoint.com. They have lots of excellent tips on search engine optimization.

Jacob

Hi Jacob,

You might not get a response immediately about this. I'm guessing that our biz dev people are still looking into it. If you don't hear back by mid-week next week, let us know.

Jill / Trumba UA