Sign in to follow this  
MassWrestling.com

Page timeout on emailing large # of recipients

I just tried testing the "one-time-email" feature. I uploaded a CSV of over 3,000 email addresses (my site's member's email addresses), and then sent out a test of a "next two weeks" email.

After trying to send it, the page eventually timed out. I'm guessing this is because not all the emails were sent to all the addresses in the proper amount of time needed before your IIS timeout is set for.

Perhaps you'll want to spawn the email sending task as a new multi-threaded process so you track the status of how many emails have been sent without causing the page to timeout for large # of addresses?

Thanks,

Mike

MassWrestling.com

Hi Mike,

I'll ask our developer if he can offer any insight into this. I'm sure I've heard of people having success with large lists, but I do admit I don't know what we'd consider the "supported" limits. I'll let you know what I find out.

Jill / Trumba UA

Hi Mike,

I'll ask our developer if he can offer any insight into this. I'm sure I've heard of people having success with large lists, but I do admit I don't know what we'd consider the "supported" limits. I'll let you know what I find out.

Jill / Trumba UA

Ted told me this is probably far too large a list for you to support at this time and I shoul get an email mailing list package...which I have already, but I would have to send out weekly/monthly event listings by email by hand if I wanted to do this.

Oh well. Sounded nice in theory, doesn't work for me in practice :/

Hi Mike,

I heard from our developer who works on the email features. He said that it's not timing out exactly for the reason you've speculated, but he thinks he knows where it's happening. There are some new features coming up that might help, but plans to directly address what's probably causing your problem are a little further out. I'm sorry to have to send the not so good news.

Jill / Trumba UA