akalli

Multi-day events - best way to handle?

We have events that are more like multi-day workshops. They are for 1-2 hours a day for 6 days, or for 3 days. We set them up as open invitation with a maximum number of people who can sign up for the entire workshop. Right now what I did was to create the recurring event to cover the days and dates for the workshop. I added the "Days of workshop" information to it in Notes, then deleted all but the first day of each workshop series. I did this because I don't want any overbooking to occur. I want the same people who signed up for the workshop to attend each day of the workshop. Is this the best practice, or am I missing a simpler way to accomplish it?

Andrea

Hi Andrea.

As you seem to have discovered, when you invite people to repeating events, they do have the option of accepting or declining each individual instance of the event and what I believe you're saying is that you don't want them to have that option. It's either all or nothing.

So the workaround you've chosen is one way of handling it.

Another option is to leave all the events on the calendar and put in the Notes that people must sign up for all the instances in a series or something more explicit. The notes appear right under the name of the event in the event actions form where people accept or decline so they would be pretty noticeable.

One problem with having only one instance on the calendar is that people who are signing up don't have the option of adding all of the instances to their personal calendar automatically. They would be able only to add the first instance and then would have to manually add the others.

Also, if you have all the instances on the calendar, you do have the option of managing the responses for each instance individually. If someone declined for one or more instances, you could contact them.

Connie

I hear ya! I need to think a little more about how the workflow process will go. Something in my favor is that when someone signs up, the next step I have to take anyway is to invite them to the web meeting. All of our classes are online and we use GoToMeeting for the actual event. When they get the meeting invite from me with the GoToMeeting info, it's set up as a recurring event and will set it up automatically on thier calendar for all the days of the event. So I think this takes care of that problem.

All we are using Trumba for is to 1) show people when a class is or when a workshop starts, 2) set a max number of attendees that can sign up, 3) allow people to reserve thier spot in the class, 4) provide the necessary contact information such as name and email address, 5) and direct them to the url of our website with the PayPal buttons so they can pay for the class by using the Ticket Web Link field.

Overall, I think it should work fairly smoothly. We'll see....I'm keeping my figures crossed. We are still testing it all to see if the process will accomplish what I believe it will.

Thanks for you help.

Andrea

Hi Andrea.

Sounds like you are setting things up in Trumba exactly the way that works best for your process, then.

By the way, thanks for the great blog post about SharePoint and Trumba.

I'm also going to write a Help topic about embedding a Trumba calendar in a SharePoint site. I'm hoping you'll be willing to review the topic when I get a draft ready.

Connie

Is it my imagination, or did you guys change your solution to accomodate multi-day events by only making the "Sign up" button available on the first day of the event?

Andrea

Hi Andrea.

I'm afraid it's your imagination, or rather, perhaps the publishing template you're using?

If you publish a calendar using a template such as Classic Week, the Sign Up button still appears on each day of a multi-day event. If you publish using the Performance template, only one Sign Up button is associated with the multi-day event because the multi-day event is presented as one entry in the calendar.

I've been messing with the behavior of repeating events and event registration a lot lately and making feature requests there but, I'm sorry to say, I haven't paid much attention to the multi-day event behavior.

I have asked that event organizers creating repeating events be given the option of specifying whether attendees can sign up only for the whole series or for individual events in the series. The same thing could appy to multi-day events. I would assume that if the organizer chooses that only-sign-up-for-entire-event option, that only one Sign Up button would appear for the entire series or multi-day event.

I will add your multi-day request to my feature request for recurring events.

Thanks for making this good suggestion. Sorry it isn't working that way today.

Connie