ATA Black Belt Academy

two crawlers on a page... only one crawls (and fast!)

I need to display two different streamers, one keeping my students informed of what the class "themes" are so they know what to bring with them each day and the other for special events. I had it all in one calendar and it was cluttered so I split it.

Now the first instance of the crawler crawls (seems like double time?) and the second instance just sits there. Also the second instance has the same teaser (target page) as the first even though the variables were assigned differently.

I want the two crawlers on the same page and I need them to have separate teasers and calendar feeds (that part works).

I'm using Front Page (yeah, I know...)

Jeff Andle

http://public.southernmaine-ata.com/

Hi Jeff,

I'm sorry you're getting erratic behavior with the crawler. If you have just one crawler on the page, does it crawl double time? I'll check more into that, but in the meantime, I'll tell you that at the moment, you can define only one teaserBase per page. So even if we found the root of the crawling behavior that you're seeing, and even if you used another app besides FrontPage :) you still would be able to show events from only one of the calendars on that one page. We've had many people wanting to show spuds from different calendars on the same page, so I'll add your comments to our existing log. I hope we can do this in the future, but I'm afraid that right now I don't know when that will be available.

Jill / Trumba UA

Not like I need another bunny hole to climb down but would the dreaded frames solve this or is it server (Trumba) side?

It appears that once crawler is normal speed (It would have to be becaue I started with one and noticed the speed up but I verified that). I could get carried away and see if three are triple speed but alas time is precious...

Looks like the variables are common and so is the object handle (or whatever the modern term is) so all the motion messages are posting to the first instance? Frames would isolate the objects, right?

I would be happy mixing both calendars into one and having a single teaser target as long as the events both crawled. Just in case there might be a partial patch ;)

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Ok, I think I have a way for you to show the crawlers from two calenders. And no frames! It's similar to the solution in this post, which talks about how to do it with the Upcoming spud. I tried it, and it worked the way I hoped.

To do it, you need to:

1. Publish one of the calendars with the other one mixed into it.

2. Embed the crawler into your page using the default code.

3. Also publish the calendar that you mixed into the first one, by itself with no mix-ins (if you don't want people to find it by itself, you can make it unsearchable in step 4).

4. Embed the crawler for the second calendar into your page, but change the teaserBase to point to the first calendar.

The src attributes point to separate calendars, but the teaserBase variables point to the same calendar.

This will show the two different crawlers, and when someone clicks an event, they'll get taken to that event on the first calendar you published (which includes events from both calendars because you mixed the second one into it). Let me know if I can clarify anything.

About the scrolling behavior, I wasn't able to get the same result that you did. If you try the steps above and still get the same behavior, let me know, and I'll look into it further.

Jill / Trumba UA

Jill,

Been too busy to test this but let me run something by you... I still want the two calendars to have completely separate info. How about if I mix both into a common top level and use it as the teaser for both separate sub calendars?

It also sounds like the new spuds will fix things and should be out in a week or so...

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Hee hee, that's more or less the solution I described. :) Except that you do still have to publish all of the calendars that you want crawler spuds for. I'm not sure that the new spuds will resolve this part of the issue, because if a calendar is just mixed into another, it isn't actually published, I mean in a way that you can point to it to display it by itself. So you wouldn't have a calendar to point to in the src attribute of your crawler's script tag.

I actually don't know yet if the new spuds will allow multiple teaserBase variables on a page, so I'll check into that. Maybe you'll get different crawling behavior with the new spuds, too. Give these things a try when you have a chance and keep me posted on your results.

Jill / Trumba UA

Now the first instance of the crawler crawls (seems like double time?) and the second instance just sits there. Also the second instance has the same teaser (target page) as the first even though the variables were assigned differently.

Jeff,

I took a look at our crawler code and it's definitley stepping on it's own toes. The way it works only the last crawler on the page will scroll. The new version of spuds that we're testing resolves this so you should see it moving again once we push the new spuds.

Thanks for pointing this out, it's a great test case.

-Troy

Troy & Jill, I appreciate the effort. When this all works it is going to be just too cool - and I've told a few other people to use it.

I now have published SMATA_EVENTS and SMATA_LDRCLASS as sub-calendars of SMATA_MAIN, which is simply a mix-in of these two.

The events crawler is in a top border "page" and the leadership class crawler is in the bottom border "page". Both use SMATA_MAIN, published through my calendars page, http://public.southernmaine-ata.com/HOMETR...KS/Calendar.htm, as the teaser_base. However, now all of the events in any of the presentations fail to a page not found (whether teaser or the calendar itself...

I get http://public.southernmaine-ata.com/HOMETR...%26view%3Devent

I'm not sure what I may have done to break this since it used to work. I could see the crawlers being broken but the calendar page is an unchanged reference.

I don't have time to play much - especially the pre-release stuff - and it's better than it was before these objects. If there is something specific that you want to see tried I can either pop you the keys or the web code...

However, now all of the events in any of the presentations fail to a page not found (whether teaser or the calendar itself...

I get http://public.southernmaine-ata.com/HOMETR...%26view%3Devent

I'm not sure what I may have done to break this since it used to work.

You web server is case sensitive and the teaser you are using has the incorrect case. You have:

trumba_teaserBase = "http://public.southernmaine-ata.com/HOMETR...ks/calendar.htm"

When you should have:

trumba_teaserBase = "http://public.southernmaine-ata.com/HOMETR...KS/Calendar.htm"

-Troy

You web server is case sensitive and the teaser you are using has the incorrect case. You have:

...-Troy

That's what 10 years of FORTRAN before using any real languages does to an old guy...

OK, so it's SOOOOOO close now.

No, the bottom crawler won't crawl till the new containerized spuds are out, but if I click an item on the events crawler and go back, it DOES return me to the calendar page on my website, but the spud displays the events calendar instead of the top-level mix-in.

I had expected that following a link to a leadership class item (bottom crawler) and back would display that sub-calendar... instead I get a broken link:

http://public.southernmaine-ata.com/HOMETR...%26view%3Devent

I checked the case on that one...

I had expected that following a link to a leadership class item (bottom crawler) and back would display that sub-calendar... instead I get a broken link:

http://public.southernmaine-ata.com/HOMETR...%26view%3Devent

I checked the case on that one...

Close, you need a capital C e.g. Calendar.htm not calendar.htm.

-Troy