roy

problems with spuds and certain browsers

I used the upcoming events and datefinder spuds on my home page and on a calendar page in a web site. Everything worked fine in Safari on a Mac running OS X and Internet Explorer 6.0 on a PC running XP. They won's show up on the Mac in Explorer 5.2 or Firefox 1.0. In Exploere I get the messages listed below:

Script Errors

Internet Explorer v5.2 for Mac

Internet Explorer Script Error

A script error occurred. Some scripts on the affected page may not work correctly.

Microsoft JScript runtime error:

-------------------------------

Line: 116

Char: 3

Error: Object doesn't support this property or method

---------------------------------

Source code: (cal)endar=salem_public_schools_calendar&widget=upcoming&events=3"></script>

A script error occurred. Some scripts on the affected page may not work correctly.

Line: 80

Char: 15

Error: 'undefined' is undefined

Source code: public_schools_calendar&widget=upcoming&events=3"></script>

Line: 92

Char: 3

Error: 'undefined' is undefined

Source code: public_schools_calendar&widget=datefinder"></script>

Can anyone tell me what might be causing this?

Thanks,

Roy

I used the upcoming events and datefinder spuds on my home page and on a calendar page in a web site. Everything worked fine in Safari on a Mac running OS X and Internet Explorer 6.0 on a PC running XP. They won's show up on the Mac in Explorer 5.2 or Firefox 1.0. In Exploere I get the messages listed below:

Roy,

Unfortunatley we do not support IE 5.2 on the Mac anymore. I'll put in a request on my part to make us fail gracefully on the browser. Since it's been discontinued I doubt we'll ever give it another look. Safari is a much more modern browser that we support.

-Troy

Edited by Troy

Is there a similar problem with Firefox? I can't seem to get it to work with that either.

Roy

We support FireFox 1.5 fine. I'll look into FireFox 1.0 That's a very out of date version, I will of course advise that you upgrade.

-Troy

I upgraded to Firefox 1.5. I'm tryong to put 2 spuds on the page - upcoming events and datefinder. Upcoming events now shows up but datefinder doesn't. I am using Dreamweaver to create the basic web pages. I put upcoming events in as a client side script and it works. I have tried to put datefinder in as a client side and also as a server side script but neither seems to work. What am I doing wrong?

The Technology Director in the Salem, School System who I am doing the project for is disappointed that the spuds don't work with IE 5 for the Mac since there are a lot of older Macs in their district (pre-OS X) that are using IE. I am goping to try to convince her to use Trumba so the machines that are capable can benefit from it, ands possibly hand enter the upcoming events as well for those older machines. There doesn't seem to be another product that has the features that Trumba has - exactly what she wanted. Is there any work-around?

Thanks,

Roy

Hi Roy,

Would you be able to send me a URL for the page on which you're trying to add the spuds? I am using Firefox 1.5.0.6 (on Mac OS X and Windows) and not having a problem embedding multiple spuds, including date finder and upcoming events, on the same page.

As I understand it, Trumba uses technology that IE 5 is not capable of supporting, and the only way for the technology to be supported is to upgrade the browser. Because Troy suggested that you get Firefox 1.5, I'm looking into whether the spuds or any other newer features have evolved beyond any of the browsers on our supported list. That unfortunately doesn't help you with your IE 5 browsers, but I appreciate that you brought up this issue.

If the spuds aren't working, the only alternative that I can think of that might be different is to include a link to your calendar on the Trumba hosted page (http://www.trumba.com/calendars/[yourcalendarname]). You wouldn't need to use any scripts for that, although you might want to see how the navigation and event actions work. Will Firefox 1.5 work on pre-OS X?

That's all I can think of regarding the earlier browsers. I'm sorry I can't give you better news.

Jill / Trumba UA

Thanks for your reply, Jill.

The URL for the page I was telling you about is:

http://www.royal-enterprises.com/SPS/calendar/new_index.htm

That's the page where I got the upcoming events to work, but not the datefinder. The original code is on:

http://www.royal-enterprises.com/SPS/calendar/index.htm

I also wanted to put the two spuds on the left side of the homepage:

http://www.royal-enterprises.com/SPS/index.htm

I haven't tried that yet since I couldn't get it to work on the calebdar page.

I am also using Firefox 1.5.0.6 on a Mac running OS X 10.4.7

When I click on the link to the actual calendar (http://www.trumba.com/calendars/salem_public_schools_calendar'>http://www.trumba.com/calendars/salem_public_schools_calendar), there seems to be no problem, but the upcoming eventgs spud is not there.

Thanks for your help so far. We would really like to be able to use Trumba because it does everything we are looking for, except for the issues I've mentioned. The Firefox website says that a Mac must be running OS X 10.2 or greater. In a school system, there area lot of older Macs still in use so the browser continues to be an issue there. Perhaps I can convince the the Technology Director to include an alternate link to ipcoming events that can be uipdated manually.

Thaks again,

Roy

Hi Roy,

Would you be able to send me a URL for the page on which you're trying to add the spuds? I am using Firefox 1.5.0.6 (on Mac OS X and Windows) and not having a problem embedding multiple spuds, including date finder and upcoming events, on the same page.

As I understand it, Trumba uses technology that IE 5 is not capable of supporting, and the only way for the technology to be supported is to upgrade the browser. Because Troy suggested that you get Firefox 1.5, I'm looking into whether the spuds or any other newer features have evolved beyond any of the browsers on our supported list. That unfortunately doesn't help you with your IE 5 browsers, but I appreciate that you brought up this issue.

If the spuds aren't working, the only alternative that I can think of that might be different is to include a link to your calendar on the Trumba hosted page (http://www.trumba.com/calendars/[yourcalendarname]). You wouldn't need to use any scripts for that, although you might want to see how the navigation and event actions work. Will Firefox 1.5 work on pre-OS X?

That's all I can think of regarding the earlier browsers. I'm sorry I can't give you better news.

Jill / Trumba UA

Hi Roy,

Thanks for posting your links. I think I see the issue. On the page with the two spuds (the first link you posted): new_index.htm

The code for the script tag has a typo. Right now it is:

<script type+"text/javascript" src="http://www.trumba.com/k.aspx?

calendar=salem_public_schools_calendar&widget=datefinder"></script>

It needs to instead be:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.trumba.com/k.aspx?calendar=salem_public_schools_calendar&widget=datefinder"></script>

I copied the code into my test file, replaced the plus sign with an equals sign, and also brought the two lines together, and the date finder appeared as expected.

I hope that works for you, too!

Jill / Trumba UA

Hi, new Trumba user here. I'm having problems with getting the spuds to load in Safari, both 1.0 and on a different machine 1.3. I understand that Trumba only supports 1.2 and higher, but since the behavior is the same (the spinning "loading" message comes up but it never loads), thought it would be worth noting. These spuds seem to work fine in the other browsers.

The following URLs are mock-ups of a site with the Trumba spuds:

http://66.39.70.17/front.html (lower right corner is the date finder spud)

http://66.39.70.17/calendar.html (entire page is the large calendar spud)

The first page has a large Flash movie, which I thought might be an issue, but the behavior happens on the second page that has no Flash.

Thanks!

Wayne

Hi, new Trumba user here. I'm having problems with getting the spuds to load in Safari, both 1.0 and on a different machine 1.3. I understand that Trumba only supports 1.2 and higher, but since the behavior is the same (the spinning "loading" message comes up but it never loads), thought it would be worth noting. These spuds seem to work fine in the other browsers.

Wayne,

Sorry about this. It's definitely working fine in Safari 2.0 so I'll go back and take a look at Safari 1.x. 1.x was a very known and buggy creature from the JavaScript point of view. I'll see what I can do.

-Troy

Spuds are now working in Safari 1.3. I don't have 1.2 available to test against yet but will. We won't push until next week so you'll have to wait about 6 days for the fix.

Wayne,

Spuds are now working in Safari 1.3. I don't have 1.2 available to test against yet but will. We won't push until next week so you'll have to wait about 6 days for the fix. We will not support Safari 1.0 as it's IFRAME support is inadequate. 1.2 should be ok and 1.3 for sure.

-Troy

Edited by Troy

Wayne,

Spuds are now working in Safari 1.3. I don't have 1.2 available to test against yet but will. We won't push until next week so you'll have to wait about 6 days for the fix. We will not support Safari 1.0 as it's IFRAME support is inadequate. 1.2 should be ok and 1.3 for sure.

-Troy

Still don't see the spuds in my copy of Safari 1.3 - but thanks for trying!

Still don't see the spuds in my copy of Safari 1.3 - but thanks for trying!

Wayne,

As I said in my post - you'll have to wait about 6 days for the fix.

-Troy

Edited by Troy

Wayne,

As I said in my post - you'll have to wait about 6 days for the fix.

-Troy

I apologize for not reading closely

Thanks,

Wayne