Maintain an email list for those who opt out?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

• Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:03 PM

we maintain an email list separate from Trumba. Upon sign up, users can request calendar updates. Periodically we export those names and import them in to Trumba for the weekly calendar updates. My question is, how do I know who has opted out of the trumba list so that I don't keep reimporting their name? If they have opted out, using the link at the bottom of the weekly email, then will they never receive more emails, even if I import their name again?

thanks,
Virginia

Edited by Virginia58, 24 August 2006 - 02:05 PM.

#2 Jill

Jill

• Trumba Community Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:40 AM

Hi Virginia,
This is a good question, and I was just trying to figure this out yesterday! If I opted out of a distribution list and then sent myself another email, I did not get the message. However, in the account I used to test this, my email still appeared on the distribution list. I'm going to check with the developer to see how this actually works, so I'll post again when I know more. He's not in today, so unless someone else has the answer, I might not be back til Monday. The comforting thing is that, even if you still have the opt-out people on your list, they won't get the email. But it'd be nice to know if you don't have to import their name, or if you can remove them from your Trumba distribution list and Address Book.

Jill / Trumba UA

#3 wyndwoman

wyndwoman

Advanced Member

• Trumba Community Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 04:04 PM

So this also brings up the question - if they opt out, then decide later that they want to be back in, how do we ensure that they get the email?

#4 Jill

Jill

• Trumba Community Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:53 AM

Hi Virginia and wyndwoman,
I found out that currently there isn't a way to know if a recipient removes him/herself from the list. I logged a feature request for a way to know if people do opt out.

If someone opts out and back in, you as the sender don't know. However, if you keep them on your distribution list, they have the choice to opt back in and do receive the email again from the point at which they opt in. If you know that they've opted out and remove them from your distribution list, they won't be able to opt back in, unless you've enabled email subscribing on your published calendar (Allow visitors to subscribe to your calendar email).

I hope I'm explaining this coherently!

Jill / Trumba UA

#5 adevandry

adevandry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:18 AM

Hi Virginia and wyndwoman,
I found out that currently there isn't a way to know if a recipient removes him/herself from the list. I logged a feature request for a way to know if people do opt out.

If someone opts out and back in, you as the sender don't know. However, if you keep them on your distribution list, they have the choice to opt back in and do receive the email again from the point at which they opt in. If you know that they've opted out and remove them from your distribution list, they won't be able to opt back in, unless you've enabled email subscribing on your published calendar (Allow visitors to subscribe to your calendar email).

I hope I'm explaining this coherently!

Jill / Trumba UA

Hi Jill. It's been four years since this request was made. Have there been any updates made yet?

#6 McP

McP
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:07 AM

I would also like an update on this almost 5 year old feature request. The email/distribution list/address book area of Trumba is very weak. I would venture a guess that most users circumvent this area as much as possible and handle their contacts outside of Trumba.

Obviously, an opt-out indicator is maintained in Trumba. Hiding this information from Calendar administrators serves no purpose but to give them cause to move away from Trumba altogether.

#7 adevandry

adevandry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:09 AM

I would also like an update on this almost 5 year old feature request. The email/distribution list/address book area of Trumba is very weak. I would venture a guess that most users circumvent this area as much as possible and handle their contacts outside of Trumba.

Obviously, an opt-out indicator is maintained in Trumba. Hiding this information from Calendar administrators serves no purpose but to give them cause to move away from Trumba altogether.

I agree. This is a major flaw in Trumba.

#8 Steve A

Steve A

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:22 AM

According to our in-house legal departments review of this question, Trumba Corporation adheres to the Email privacy laws as well as the rules outlined by the Federal Trade Commission. To protect the privacy rights of the owner of an email address, any communication of an OPT out request, other than to Trumba Corporation where the email address is flagged to opt out from an email distribution list, would be in violation of the privacy rights for the person that owns that email address.

Thanks for your understanding!
Steve

#9 adevandry

adevandry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:12 AM

According to our in-house legal departments review of this question, Trumba Corporation adheres to the Email privacy laws as well as the rules outlined by the Federal Trade Commission. To protect the privacy rights of the owner of an email address, any communication of an OPT out request, other than to Trumba Corporation where the email address is flagged to opt out from an email distribution list, would be in violation of the privacy rights for the person that owns that email address.

Thanks for your understanding!
Steve

Thanks for the update.

How are other email blast companies (Mailchimp, for example) able to legally notify me when someone unsubscribed? Notification comes via email to me and also on my account dashboard.

I just dont understand how letting me know that Joe Schmo unsubscribed is a violation of privacy.

Edited by adevandry, 21 April 2011 - 10:13 AM.

#10 Steve A

Steve A

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:43 PM

When a person has subscribed to an email and they opt out, for personal privacy, they may not want anyone to know they have opted out from receiving an email and it is their right to that privacy. Trumba has adopted this privacy policy and Trumba email functionality is designed around this type of privacy protection for an end user.

Thanks,
Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users